1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beaucarnea recurvata

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, May 19, 2007.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,040
    I 've had a pair of these for quite a while now and I had potted them onto those imported clay pots from the far east, the glazed type.
    Well I've been putting it off but they did need more room the large bulbous stems were almost touching the pot rims and watering was almost imposible. As these pots are wider in the middle than the top the only way was to smash the pots, shame really as I liked them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The roots were pretty thick, and a lot of other plants would have given up and died in this state. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, they are now in bigger pots, plastic this time, so that I can get them out next time they need a repot.
    [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Impressive-looking beasts, Pete! I think you were wise to use plastic this time - such a pity you had to lose those nice pots.

BTW, is that a banana at the front right of the last picture? The leaf is a lot narrower than I'm used to with bananas, but it still looks like one!

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,040
    Its a BOP dendy,my outside all year experiment.
    Its got one flower bud this year. :rolleyes:

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Pete did you grow these from seed? I have two that are two years old I was wondering how long they took to grow that size beautiful specimens well done.

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Fabulous plants Pete, they look distinctly prehistoric.

6. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've got one of those ontop of my fridge, had it for about 5 yrs can I put it outside during the summer? it's not as big as yours, seems very slow growing the bulbus bit that is.

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Lucky you Pete, not just one but two of these fantastic plants!

Yes, it's a pity about having to break the clay pots to get them out (why don't we think of such things when we plant?). However, these plastic ones have a very good point - the overhanging rim that permits you to get a good grip when moving them up.

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    They are now known as Nolina recurvata and are very popular here. Mine is growing very fast up on the deck. Our garden centre friend has a fully grown on in the grounds of his villa and it is really to die for. If I had the space, I'd certainly plant it in the ground.

Yes, shame about the pots, pete, they were very attractive. We had to do that to the clay pot the BoP was in when we planted it out the other week.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    That's a fantastic pair Pete, talking of repotting I just did the Brahia yesterday although it is very slow growing it had filled the root ball. Plastic pots of course, a clay one would have been about �£25!
    [​IMG]

If ony I could get the Chamy H Cerifera to start growing, it is the same as when I got it last June. When it was sent (ebay) the soil was removed to reduce weight but I think that has put it back and has taken a year to settle down.
    [​IMG]

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,040
    Thanks for the replys everyone.
    I did grow these from seed about twenty years ago, I think growth could have been much faster but I have put off potting them on over the years due to, space in the winter, problems.
    They have always been put outside in the summer months, even when only a couple of years old, but I find they are a bit tender and are best only from June to the end of Sept here,in the hottest sunniest place you have, and be prepared to bring a young plant undercover if we get one of our cool wet spells.
    So TO, I would go for it.
    Walnut, they are very slow at first from seed but as with many plants of this kind (as you probably know) they reach a point where growth takes off after a few years and they can become rather large.
    LOL, I thought nolina was the old name.
    Strongy, I have some two year old cerifera seedlings and they have not moved this year yet, I tend to find that most (not all) palms make growth here in mid to late summer, yours look good though.
    I have a butia capitata, and I swear its not grown at all since I bought it at least five years ago from the Palm Centre.

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    You're probably right, pete. However, my book lists it under Nolina syn Beaucarnea and all the garden centres sell it as a Nolina ... but this is a third world country ... [​IMG]

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,040
    Oh well it dont matter, we know what we mean. :D

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Pete I'll put them out next month.