Best approach to adding a few steps

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by ChrisIB, Jul 17, 2023.

1. ChrisIB

ChrisIB Gardener

Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi there, I am looking for help on extending some central steps up a grass bank.
    My knowledge of this is limited! A friends husband said board it out, put rubble in then concrete steps. A Google suggests breezeblock, bricks, concrete slabs, there are even ready made wood ones on Ebay. Any suggestions, pointers welcome, landscapers here in sunny Lockerbie are rare!
    IMG20230717105738.jpg

2. Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,006
    I might be tempted to go for high strength concrete blocks (for frost resistance, should be OK in the absence of fluid groundwater), with concrete slab treaders, perhaps widening in width towards the top, to spread the exit area.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +47,129
      I'd say bricks for the risers with paving slabs as the steps. It should match what you have already. I'd leave a landing at the top of the existing steps of at least 900mm long. You need a solid base which will take a fair bit of work plus materials. All you need to know at the paving expert:

Steps

An excellent unbiased website, I have their book too, it's the landscaper's bible.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • ChrisIB

ChrisIB Gardener

Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +111
        Thanks for the replies!
        Like that idea, is there a supplier you could recommend?
        Bril, appreciated

• Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,006
        A supplier of what? Slabs, blocks...? Work out what you need, in terms of quantity. You could see what a reasonably local builders merchant can do, or a DIY place like Wickes or B&Q or whatever (them first, then tell the BM you've got a cheaper offer, don't tell them what it is ("outraged"... "I can't tell you that!"). If you have a vehicle that can pick up you'll save on delivery costs either way.

The good thing about having a wider top is that you won't get so much wear on the grass in a particular area (it might look nice too).

Cormaic's place (pavingexpert, "The Brew Cabin" and general info) as above is good, I've been there a few times, advice can tend to over-engineer but it's very good and often quite helpful. Again, knpow what you want to do first.

• Useful Useful x 1
        • ChrisIB

ChrisIB Gardener

Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +111
          Many thanks, am a reasonably practical guy, done bathrooms and kitchens but walk into a garden and it goes blank!

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +47,129
            Sounds like you will be OK if you done tiling and that sort of thing. It just needs a little preparation. Get levels right and a slight slope off the steps to throw off rain.

• Useful Useful x 1