1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST 2018

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    The sand and gravel supplier a couple of miles away sells mushroom compost . I have never used it , if someone can enlighten me on its uses :)

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    "Mushroom compost
    Mushroom compost can often be bought cheaply in bulk for use as a soil conditioner or mulch. It is usually available as ‘spent’ mushroom compost, referring to the fact it is the compost left over from mushroom farming.

[​IMG]

Quick facts
    Mushroom compost is a useful soil conditioner and mulch
    Use it in the vegetable and ornamental garden
    It is alkaline in nature
    Avoid using mushroom compost around ericaceous (acid-loving) plants
    Jump to

Why use mushroom compost?

Mushroom compost has a high organic matter content makes it a useful material for soil improvement and mulching.

It can sometimes be obtained cheaply and in large quantity from local mushroom farms, soil and manure suppliers, and the occasional garden centre.

Traditionally made with well-rotted stable manure, mushroom compost is now generally made using composted straw.

Mushroom compost often contains chalk and is alkaline in nature. When using mushroom compost, remove any large pieces of chalk that are visible, and use it in moderation, alternating with well-rotted manure or garden compost, these being only slightly alkaline or neutral in their reaction. This avoids excessive build up of chalk in the soil. Mushroom compost is sometimes offered without having first been used to raise mushrooms and being free of chalk is an ideal manure.

Note: there is no connection between spent (used) mushroom compost and the disease honey fungus.

Where to use mushroom compost

Frequent or heavy use of spent mushroom compost usually leads to a build-up of chalk particles in the garden soil, and to increased soil alkalinity. This can occur to the extent that plant growth suffers, the chalk making other nutrients in the soil less available. In severe cases, yellowing of the foliage (known as lime-induced chlorosis) and general stunting occurs, with consequent reduction in flowering and fruiting.

Mushroom compost is therefore most useful on acid soils that are low in organic matter, where the liming effect of the chalk is an added benefit to soil fertility. Mushroom compost is not recommended for neutral, alkaline or chalky soils, which would be made excessively alkaline by the addition of further chalk.

Mushroom compost is excellent on the vegetable garden, as vegetable crops usually grow best when th soil is not acid and where the soil is alkaline brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts and kale) are less likely to be infected by clubroot disease.

Mushroom compost use should be avoided where ericaceous plants such as rhododendrons, camellias, azaleas and heathers are being grown, as these plants need acidic growing conditions and are chalk-hating. In ericaceous beds, leaf mould is preferable as mulch and soil improver, being pH neutral (broad leaves) or acidic (pine needle leaf mould) in its nature.

Mushroom compost is unsuitable for fruit crops (which prefer neutral to acid conditions), and it is not recommended for use as a lawn top-dressing, except where the soil is very acid and a definite need for lime has been established.

Mushroom compost contains high levels of soluble salts, so it is better not used as a component in potting mixes."

Mushroom compost usually refers to ‘spent mushroom compost’, because it has already been used for mushroom growing. However, a limited number of suppliers also offer un-used mushroom compost.

Spent mushroom compost usually contains a higher percentage of chalk (up to 30 percent), as the ‘bed’ on which the mushrooms are grown is encased in chalk. Un-used mushroom compost contains much less chalk and is less alkaline in nature."

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @Tetters that's usually the way mate...when your used to a store doing good prices on things you buy :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Homebase are selling 3 x 120L bags of J.A. Bowers MPC for £15 (4.17p/L).

I bought some to mix with Jack's Magic from Wickes 4 x 60L bags for £21 (4 For 3 @ £7 each) 8.75p/L, plus all the various reduced bags of compost and growbags from last year.

• Like Like x 2
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Good god @Scrungee is there any left for others :roflol:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +957
            I think I'll click and collect the larger bags from Wilko as they always seem sold out. Still waiting on our local Lidl to step up their game :scratch:

• Like Like x 2
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              @Mark56 i would mate before @Scrungee beats you to it :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
                Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018
              • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +957
                I think we should put out a public service announcement for all ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Your right there mate :loll:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                    Ratings:
                    +7,491
                    I'm using Wickes MPC again....OH has just picked up 8 bags for me. he couldn't fit anymore in the car :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 3
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      @Fern4 send him back for the rest tomorrow...as @Scrungee is buying the places out :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                        Ratings:
                        +7,491
                        I might just do that as I forgot to ask him to pick up a bag of sharp sand for my eucomis bulbs. :snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          @Fern4 you've just reminded me mate on about sand :yes:...we need to get about another 4 bags of pea gravel :thankyou:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Moley

Moley Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +576
                            Gave Wilko Indoor and Outdoor Potting Compost a go for our first attempt at propagating seeds, as we get 20% staff discount and wanted to keep things as cheap and cheerful as possible. Think it's safe to say it was a little too heavy for the job we were using it for, as it had a bit of what seem like chippings in it, but nothing major. Between the nasturtiums, pansies and begonias we had a 75% return, so it could have been worse.

After realising we would probably have gotten better results with a compost with a little less matter in it, we've got some Westland MPC With John Innes and a garden riddle for attempt number 2.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
                            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              @Moley i had to plant some grasses a couple of weeks back and couldn't believe it when my hubby come back with two bag of multi purpose compost from morrisons and it was good stuff for £2-00 a bag on special offer...they've soon gone and put it back to just over £3.:)

Best of luck mate with attempt 2 :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1