1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Supplier Of Compost 2020

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by shiney, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    It is a great test, and one that has been many a time by nurseries up and down the country, a similar test has been done with peat reduction, and with different peat alternatives etc, it is plain to see the uniformity in manufacturing of pro compost, and the end result, compost is not just compost is the takeaway from experiments like this. Now you just have to work out which pro compost is the best for what you are growing.
    In recent years, the amount of money spent on the improvement and development of pro compost is astronomical, and I wrote in a post a little while back, improvements are continuing, as will experiments like this (which are fun as well), at the moment I use 2 different manufacturers pro compost, for seed and cuttings I use Levingtons F1, and I do know some veg growers who show their extra large veg grow carrots, leeks etc in Levingtons F2, and for potting on we use Bulrush, 2 grades, bedding for small pots, and container base for larger pots (there is no difference apart from partical size), but they do so a pro compost called Sunrise that is peat free, but lastvtime I played with it, it was not as good as the others. Great experiment, it comes down to the old addage, ifvyou stop learning, you stop improving.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997

Did you upend them and compare their root systems?

• Like Like x 2
      • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
        Ratings:
        +1,200
        What would be interesting, is remove the plants from the pots, and photograph and compare the root system, then put them back in the pots, then see how each plant is doing after 4 weeks of just watering and no feed, you can then get an idea of how good the power house of the plant is (roots), and what the shelf life of the plant is.
        In one of the posts, a point was made about the cost of a pro compost, being worth the short term difference in the plant, being a grower, we have looked at this type of questions over and over, and from a professional point of view, yes its worth it, but you have to take into account that the small differences at all levels, pro seed, pro seed compost, pro potting on compost, pro feeds, calcium filters, all these small differences make 1 very big difference, in the rootball, quality, uniformity, and longivity of plants.

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997

We appear to have had the same idea and posted within seconds of one another.

• Like Like x 3
          • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
            Ratings:
            +1,200
            I nearly shouted snap

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,164
              Good idea(s).

Lettuce the root system looks the same:
              20200516_093232.jpg

The Courgette much stronger root system matching the top growth for the Pro Compost:
              20200516_093446.jpg

• Like Like x 1
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,164
                Would be good to do that, but today I have planted them all out.

Very interesting. I think being much easier and quicker to use when potting on must be important too for a business, the Pro-MPC must save labour costs. For home use it's not such a big deal as we only do a few each spring. Even so I often notice I don't always fill my pots properly, when I knock them out for planting there are sometimes gaps and holes in the compost - lost space means less roots means a smaller plant.

• Like Like x 2
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  So the answer to all my MPC problems of just buying Jacks Magic, is not the answer to all my MPC problems !
                  I am actually mixing my small stock of Jacks Magic with Westland MPC, all I could get delivered in the lockdown. Nothing has died yet, which I presume is the ultimate test of any MPC.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Haven't we been down this road before? Never mind. It makes for a good and often very interesting thread.

Please don't overlook the time period factor here.

When employed by the Greater London Council, formally the LCC. Parks Surperintendants would submit their annual order. Of course a newbie gaffer would soon learn. Order way over the top, because some numkin at HO with no horticultural know how would chop your order in half, at least.

To be honest. Those days IMO reflected the historic days of the Victorian Gardener. Gardeners like me continued to learn, often the hard way. Such wonderful memories. Having long left behind the tedious task of mixing ones own JI composts. In time the MPC crops up.

Armed by the birth of the garden centers and multi store outlets. Soon numerous brands of MPC hit the market. Mainly those marketed by the parent company. Forgive me but. Such as MPC as ones own brand. Sorry that's enough to put me off. I go for a firm that is producing a product that is the life-blood of the business.

I feel that I must be totally honest here. My gardening is basic. I get results and at the same time I don't pamper my plants. At times I may be asked to trial this and that. IMO for general overall garden and greenhouse use. JA Bowers MPC.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,494
                    The 'Own Brand' MPC is only that produced by one of the big compost producers and packaged in the 'Own Brand' packaging for advertising purposes. It is usually sold cheaper by the 'Sheds' as they have purchased it in bulk under contract. The quality relies solely on the trend for the supplier/manufacturer's attempt to produce something of sufficient quality as cheaply as possible. This sometimes falls flat on its face as it did two years ago with the useless 'new' Wickes compost made by Westland. They have probably corrected that but a lot of people are not prepared to take the chance.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                      Ratings:
                      +1,200
                      Thanks for the photos of roots, although similar in all 3 on the lettuce, but lots more for the courgette in the pro mpc, you can see a yellowing of the lower leaves of the plants not in the pro, the 1st signs of the plant running out of energy, this is a clear indicator, using shops own brand, or mainstream brands, the gardener needs to use a feeding stratergy earlier, and keep the stratergy going to maintain the plant. So the answer to harryS mpc question, use the best you can afford, and dont be afraid to experiment from time to time.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Scrungee

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        I thought the middle lettuce had less roots.

In both the lettuce and courgettes the pro compost was dry at the bottom of the pots. Wonder whether that's due to bigger plants with more roots requiring more water, or water doesn't drain so freely through it, something I've occasionally noticed with composts after a few potting up/planting out sessions and supplemented with bottom watering.

• Like Like x 2
                        • JWK

Ratings:
                          +46,164
                          I hadn't noticed that, but now you point it out I reckon if I should be watering from the bottom more.

It's been a useful exercise for me, now I realise my watering and feeding regime could be improved.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                            Ratings:
                            +1,200
                            Plants that have rooted, we always place on ebb and flood benches, so watering from below, easy to make at home, place a sheet of polycarbonate or even polythene if you dont have slated bench tops, buy a roll of irrigation matting, the green coloured more expensive ones are better than the grey stuff that looks like chewed up blankets reformed, place over the poly layer, and give a good soaking, plants will absorb from the mat, discard the matting after every growing year, or the following link will give a guide on how to build a more effective set up.

How To Build a Top Feeding Hydroponic System with Flood Table

• Like Like x 1
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +118,494
                              I've just returned from B&Q after trying to buy the 50/60 litre bags of compost that I wanted. They had all gone, as had almost all composts, but they had a few 125 litre bags so decided to get a couple (that's all that would fit into the boot). I tried to load it on the trolley but they were too heavy. Another customer said he would do it for me and also load it into my car :blue thumb:. People are so kind to us oldies :old: :). I've got some of the empty bags here so shall cut the new ones open and spade them into the old bags.

• Like Like x 3
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.