1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Type of Hedge for Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NickB, Jun 8, 2016.

1. NickB

NickB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I have a space of around 3 metres where i need to plant some hedges as the fence is damaged and we are unable to change them.

We are having a flower bed prepped so it will be ready to plant in the next couple of days. Could anyone offer any advice what hedges would be best for screening? I've been told Laurel but just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,

Does it have to be a formal " green " hedge ? You mention you're having a flower bed as well, is this in front of it ?

I was wondering about a more informal hedge, say with......

Forsythia, Ribes, Lilac, Philadelphus, wiegela, Fuchsia and/ or perhaps Roses ( Queen Elizabeth makes a good hedge ).

• Like Like x 2
    • NickB

NickB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the reply.

We just want it as a hedge bed and it doesn't have to be just a green hedge.

Which would you say is best then? Something low maintenance would be great!

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      They do grow very fast, so maybe not low maintenance. If you really want Laurel make sure you get Portuguese Laurel it's much neater and keeps its shape better whereas Common (or English/Cherry) Laurel can be quite a brute at suppressing any flowers growing nearby.

For low maintenance I have Beech hedges they only need cutting once a year, they go brown in winter but keep their leaves so still provide screening/security. Hornbeam is the same although I've never grown that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        What style is your garden? Do you want the hedge to be formal or informal? Is it to keep out prying eyes or is that not a requirement? Evergreen or deciduous? Perhaps post a picture. All hedges will require some maintenance.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I've just put in a Hornbeam hedge. I expect it to be relatively low maintenance. Other than that, I could suggest Thuja.

The really low maintenance hedge though is called Cementus Wallus!:snorky:

• Funny Funny x 3
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          I like yew, its pretty fast really, but easy to trim once it reaches the size you want.
          Its evergreen and dense, and should it get out of control it can be cut back to bare stems and it will reshoot.

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1