best way/time to lift crocus bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by poohpouri, Mar 20, 2010.

1. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi I have loads of croucus plants in front garden(planted by previous owner,as i am redoing the landscaping when is the best time to lift the bulbs ? and can i store them until ready to plant ? Am in Enfield Middlesex thanks

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    About six weeks after flowering has finished, the bulbs need to restock their power ready for the next season by photosynthesis via the leaves.

Having said that I have in the past lifted and potted up crocus carefully by digging each one up with a reasonable ammount of soil around them...you will have a few casualites doing this but if your eager to get on with landscaping...sacrifices may have to be made.

Steve...:)

3. sparky

sparky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When I move them I make little hole in another bed,lift a little clump in flower and pop them in.they don't know they've been moved.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you want to move them wait until they have flowered then dig them up.
    Dig out a little trench in a corner you are not bothered about and "plant" them in there. Mark the spot.
    When you are ready to plant them in their final positions dig the bulbs out of the trench and plant them where you want them.