1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of cowboy gardeners

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Nov 22, 2011.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,176
    Beware of cowboy gardeners when times are tough - Telegraph

"Cowboy gardeners have always been around, but as times get tougher, garden work is an area that, more than ever, is ripe for exploitation by the less scrupulous.
    Oxford County Council has recently reported a huge increase in complaints to Trading Standards of 50 per cent for garden and tree work."

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    We used to have a guy around here.
    He was a nice bloke and lots old dears were happy at his price and workmanship. He even sold them plants at a reasonable price and planted them out for them.

It took a while, but eventually he was sussed. His way of supplimenting his income was the plants. He would clear a few from each garden where they were plentiful and re-sell them to other customers.
    Obviously the next time he visited the doner garden there was a space that he could fill with some plants he had in the van - cheap.

He's still around, He just moves to another estate once he's been sussed. There are hundreds of estates in the area. Happy days!

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,510
    I've seen both sides of the argument with garden problems and have represented gardeners and householders.

Although there are some cowboy gardeners out there I think there are fewer than the media publicity tries to make out. Which doesn't help you if your one of the people that has been caught out by them.

Very few 'jobbing' gardeners are cowboys but some are just not particularly good. For normal gardening this is not too much of a problem as you soon spot what is wrong and then get someone else.

For landscaping there are more problems and particularly in the hard landscaping business. Doing research into what you want done and how it should be done is a lot easier nowadays with having the internet and you should be able to have a reasonable knowledge of what's involved before getting quotes.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of good gardeners get ripped off by their clients (not paying, arguing about the agreed price, offering less because they are hard up, saying that the work done wasn't what they asked etc) and it's difficult to get anything done about it.

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  5. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    As mentioned in the Telegraph article, its always best to deal with reputable well established firms who have a good local track record (and are properly insured) for major gardening work.

Good 'jobbing' gardeners for light tasks are never short of work due to 'word of mouth' recommendations.

a-a

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      interesting subject, but there are 2 sides to rouge trading

1st is the guy who is unqualifed and rips you off (as in the newspaper article)

but what about the qualified, fully licenced, landscaper who rips off the old lady by charging excessive rates to mow her lawn?

same thing in my book, but you will seldom see such articles in the newspaper about such cases

Professional landscapers have a 'club' and will always dispise and oppose the people who try to take their work away for cheaper

Sadly, they don't realize that if you never went to gardening school, you can still mow a lawn, design a garden, trim a hedge and pull a weed, and possibly/probably do the job just as good as they do, for much cheaper ...

the proof is on sites like this .... look at the pics that members post of their properties and you will see amazing gardens

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,816
      Always get someone by referral!

• Like Like x 1
      • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        I've had a few 1 off jobs where you do the work as discussed .... at the end of the job, you get statement's such as:

But you never moved the pile of bricks to behind the garage etc

Now, any one off jobs are quoted, then on the day I start, they are given a contact stating exactly what work will be done .... with the clause that any additional work requested will be quoted and charged over and above

I have never had a problem since

I once had a client who got all stroppy and tried to haggle the price after the work was completed .... I was polite and told her no probs, she can keep the money ....

she backpeddaled, eyes as wide as a saucer and paid me the full amount ... I still do work for her, and have never had a prob with her since

suppose if the amount for the job was a lot, I would not have told her to keep the money

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
        Ratings:
        +502
        This is a subject i have experienced !

An odd-job gardener was arranged, by me, for my elderly neighbour who need a one-off job done.

I saw his advert in the local paper and just took it from there ..... huuuuge mistake, he was an odd-job/handyman gardener and NOT at all what he said in his advert or on his van.
        Because he'd under-estimated the job, in its entirity, he asked for a lot more money than was agreed, he left 50% of the rubbish behind and ruined her beds and lawns in the whole process.

Halfway through the job i was having doubts about the guy (could see him work from an upstairs window) but what can you say ? I'm not (nor was the neighbour) the kind of person to tell him to sling his hook immediately so ..... she ended up with a bad job.

Needless to say, i would never recommend him and try, whenever possible, to get recommedations now.

If only the advert and van had been honest and plaintalking though the situation (and expectations) would never have happened because you'd go by the guys experience etc.

• Like Like x 2
        • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,729
          I think non-gardeners often underestimate the amount of work involved in pruning or moving plants and digging out borders. They think it's easy because they've never tried doing it themselves. Having said this, the old lady who used to live next door to me once hired some gardening help. A big strapping chap arrived and proceeded to chop itsy-bitsy pieces from her overgrown shrubs before carrying them daintily across the garden to deposit them in a sack. After watching him doing this little dance for a couple of days, I could stand it no more. I went round with a pair of sturdy loppers and my trusty secateurs and had the whole lot done and dusted within a morning.

• Like Like x 2
          • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
            +1,663
            But Clara - you took the bread out of this poor man's mouth. He had days of income available.:heehee::heehee:

• Like Like x 3
            • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +883
              When I moved into the house I'm in atm the hedges and shrubs around the edge looked like they had been vandalised! It has took me ages to get them looking respectable again. I was talking to the neighbour next door one day and he told me that he had been in charge of the garden whilst the house was empty before I moved in. He was complaining that the landlord had not payed him for doing the hedges :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
              • Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
                +120
                lmao the cartoon made me giggle:heehee:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4