1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BF&Bone + Pieris

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lazydog, May 27, 2013.

1. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    I am really struggling with these could it be because they are near roses that get a good dose of blood fish and bone a couple of times a year and a good mulch of natures finest,The Pieris don't seem to put on any growth and loose their nice colours and turn nearly pure white and look a mess.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi LD, well Peiris like fairly acid soil but I do grow them in my sandy neutral soil without any problems. I reckon your Pieris is right out there in the Sun and the leaves turning white are a classic sign that they are not liking it. They are better off in light or dappled shade and you should find that the colours will return to the new growth. Another thing is that they really only like rain water and watering them with a hose or Watering Can full of tap water is something they don't appreciate.
    Blood, Fish and Bonemeal is a great fertiliser but it is also a slow release fertiliser so you won't see a quick benefit from it. If you can I would move the Pieris into a more shady position and water it with rainwater if possible. I would also use something like a soluble fertiliser like Miracle Grow in rainwater to feed it until it get settled.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • lazydog

waiting to win the Lotto
      Ratings:
      +641
      Thats that then they are in full sun should i risk moving them now I have a section that is in shade with no fresh manure any where near,or wait till the end of the season.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      To be honest I would wait until the Autumn if you're not in a rush. You won't really change anything right now by moving it and although the weather is cool and wet at the moment I wouldn't risk moving it. I'm not saying you can't move shrubs now, and I have, but since the Pieris is yours and not mine I wouldn't want it to suffer and then you tell me off!!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• lazydog

waiting to win the Lotto
      Ratings:
      +641
      I would never tell you off mate and thanks for the advice,at the moment we have a very slight flood again about 2" of water but it will have gone by tomorrow if the sunshines! :)

• Like Like x 1