1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Big slug issue requiring help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daveboy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. daveboy

daveboy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I would like to say hello, I am new to the site and am after some help as I am not sure what to do about a problem I've had for a little while.

I rent my property and recently have had quite an issue with slugs at the front of the house. They are always to be found crawling up one corner.

As you can see from the photos, the landlord has placed stones at the front and used a mesh type material over the soil. I have moved the stones and pulled this back a little to try and see what is underneath, yet I don't see anything. I have placed pellets here and yet still they appear on the wall.

I have placed pellets on the ground surrounding the corner and this has collected a handful of slugs, of varying sizes. From the pictures you will see that their trail goes all the way up to where the roof starts. I've salted a few if I've found them on the wall, put obviously if they're too high they get away.

I'm seeking advice on what other things I can do to stop this annoying problem. Where should I be looking? I'm having to check the wall all the time, expecting to see slugs attached to it, and not knowing exactly where they are coming from. I must have got rid of a good 30 slugs in the last few weeks.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

2. daveboy

daveboy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my post earlier, I found this tonight.

It's driving me mad!! :mad:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Hello and welcome to the forum daveboy. I can't see what the problem is, if they aren't getting into your house or eating your plants I wouldn't worry.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have a similar issue with them getting into my house-my hallway carpet is dreadful every single morning. I have done everything I can think of and they still get in.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Well thats very unpleasant, I guess they must be able to squeeze through the tiniest of gaps, under the door threshold maybe? Have you got a weather strip (brush type thingy) on the bottom of your door?

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    They creep in through the gaps in the floorboards between the floor and walls and up through the small gaps the GCH hot water pipes come through. Apparently they can hide anywhere-behind the kickboards in a kitchen, behind the small gap at the bottom of skirting boards-and the worst I have ever heard is that they also like to hide in the drainpipe or ubend of the sinks-ugh. Glad it's not that bad here. Having a cellar doesn't help.

7. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Lollipop, that's horrible. I did have a problem for a while with slugs getting in under the front door at night. They must have a very good sense of smell as they invariably aimed straight for the biscuit crumbs which my son, bless his heart, had a habit of leaving strewn on the floor near the sofa. We sealed the entry point under the door and stopped buying biscuits. :)

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I get rid of them when I see them but it is a constant battle. Thankfully it goes away in the winter but come wet summer nights and I just stay out of the way when the sun goes down. It is a problem we all have in my area. they tend to head for the bin in the kitchen and I have had some success with mopping the floor with water, half a cup of bicarb of soda and a tablespoon or two of salt, but there is nothing I can use for the carpeted areas in the hallway. I suppose I am used to it and I have no real issue with them other than when I go downstairs for a glass of water in the middle of the night and one squelches underfoot.