Bird box

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Jack Sparrow, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Birds do sit on the TV aeriel up there. It's not a good place to park your car if you know what I mean.

I think I might buy several cheap boxes and spread them around. If I see that one of them is being used, I can always upgrade to a camera box at a later date.

G.

• Like Like x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Sounds like a great idea:blue thumb:

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      It doesn't look great, too exposed and too hot. I think you are getting too carried away. It is better to have one or two nest boxes with the right aspect than more with the wrong aspect. Unless you want to cook the nestlings, stick to east or north facing. If you don't believe me research it by those who know, like RSPB or BTO. Both have advice on where to site nest boxes.

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Mine faces west on my sycamore but wasps have moved in this yr cos id not noticed it had fell upside down, usually have blue tits though

• Like Like x 1
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        I have 6 bird boxes spread around the gardens. I have put mine 6 - 8 ft off the ground and facing east or west and close to trees, hedges so the fledgling babies can fly straight to them. All of the boxes get used but not always all at the same time. Only the one box has been used by Bluetits this year, altho one of the male Sparrows continues to try and attract a female to the boxes on the telegraph pole.

Give it a try @Jack Sparrow , you won't know unless you try. Just be mindful of positioning, aspect, etc

• Like Like x 1
        • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,765
          Here is an absolute gem of an idea if your building nestboxes yourself. I spotted it in the local garden centre.
          Its a standard box anyone can make from discarded timber with the choice of keeping it open fronted or using either of the two hole size frontages. Handy for cleaning and disinfecting season on season...brilliant, now where's me saw. lol

20190707_140235.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
            +3,718
            @BigC , I like that idea, I like to make rather than buy, I made one of these a few years ago, it's Screenshot_20190708-144244_Chrome.jpg somewhere in the garden I think, have to see if I can find it.

• Like Like x 1