1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Himalayan Poppies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Shaneoak, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi

I planted these last year and they've grown very lush and green, but haven't flowerd this year. I've fed and mulched them etc . However, i've planted them in the wrong spot where the sun constantly catches them and they have been scorched badly, but recovered.

My question is would now be a good time to move them to a shady spot and what's the best way? I've heard that poppies have a long tap root, so, i'm a bit worried that i might kill them. They were rather pricey!

Many Thanks for any help given

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,310
    I think that @silu may be able to give some advice on Meconopsis betonicifolia :blue thumb:

3. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Move them with a big ball of earth. They like shade and acidic soil.

If they flower the first year, you're supposed to cut off the flowers straightaway because if you leave them on the first year, that may be the last you'll see of them.

They'll flower next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
      Ratings:
      +88
      Thank you Shiney

• Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
      Ratings:
      +88
      Thank you for this.Oh wow, i did not know i had to snip there pretty heads of in the first year! Is September an 'OK' month to be moving them?

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,523
      yes, they are pricey. started some from seed, got only 3 babies, now about 3 inches tall, still in medium size pots. sitting outside for now. will be bringing them inside for the winter.

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      I was told that by a head gardener in Scotland. They grew lots of them. It took me a while to snip mine as my scissors were hovering over them for about 5 minutes but then I said to myself "Do what you were told!" :)

I suppose as long as you take enough soil with the plant so that it doesn't realize it's being moved, then moving it should be OK.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Cannot grow blue poppy here....would love to though. The nearest was a group of 3 meconopsis linghorne that flowered briefly for me and then died out.
        The scots have the edge on this one :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Yes I am lucky enough to grow many of these true blue flowering plants. Mine grow happily in sun and shade but did not appreciate this amazing summer which we in Scotland had as well as you down South. It was hard work to keep them watered but my efforts were not in vane as they are now looking quite happy again.
          You don't say where your Meconopsis are planted shaneoak? if it's London then they would be much better moved to a shady spot but it really depends on your normal climate. In a normal summer here without blazing sun and 80+ heat mine are very happy in full sun.
          My soil is to my surprise is not that acidic more acidic side of neutral so they are slightly forgiving. They are gross feeders and like loads of well rotted horse manure around their bases as a mulch but not touching the stems otherwise they rot off. I am not too sure what you are feeding yours @Shaneoak?
          They absolutely detest being crowded out by other plants and will leg up if encroached upon by other herbaceous plants. I grow mine either in a bed on their own or amongst Rhododendron and Azaleas as they won't crowd them out,
          Re moving them. because of where I live (Scotland and therefore the possibility of severe winters) i tend to move/split most plants in the Spring. I certainly split Meconopsis then. As you haven't had the plants for very long I reckon if you really want to move them now, I would wait to see the leaves start to die back and then move them with a very generous amount of earth attached to their roots giving minimum disturbance.
          Yes @kindredspirit , if any of the seedlings I grow have any flower buds they are removed their 1st year:frown:. I suppose it takes too much energy from the young plants if they flower and set seed:scratch:,
          meconopsis.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
          • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
            Ratings:
            +88
            Thank you very much for the reply and info Silu.

I'm in Leeds.

I noticed that the leaves were literally burning in the sun, even though i was watering them and they were slightly shaded by a buddelia. Nothing flowered this year, but lots of leaves.

oh i've been feeding them bone meal with compost. Is that ok?

They are near some delphiniums and violas, so, not sure if they are too crowded.

your flowers look stunning

p.s just wanted to ask, do they seed themselves and naturalize or spread via there roots to produce new plants?

• silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            @Shaneoak, now the weather is much cooler/wetter, well it is here and expect you'll have cooled down too, your Meconopsis should be a lot happier looking? Blood fish and bone meal is ok as far as I know as it is not alkali. I don't use it on mine but then I am lucky and have a never ending supply of manure. Don't feed the likes of Growmore tho that is too alkali.
            Violas shouldn't be a issue crowding wise but the Delphiniums might be, difficult tell without a photo. You certainly want them to have their own space and not have leaves of other plants touching them. I have Japanese Anemones which have encroached on a clump of mine and I am going to need to sort it out!
            In all the years I have had Meconopsis growing here (about 10), I have never got 1 self seed:wallbanging: but that could be because of winter wet which seedlings don't like. All the ones I grow are from my own seed which I collect and keep in the fridge over winter, then sow early the following spring. Feast or famine, either lots of seedlings or none:scratch::yikes:. They are quite fickle. They do not spread through roots but you can increase their number by lifting and splitting the plants in spring. I lift and split mine once they are about 3 or 4 years old.
            If you are getting lots of leaves then the chances are you will get flowers next season all being well.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +10,523
              Right now, not sure next spring what to do with them. either move to a pot, or ground. I know they will re-seed, so has to be a good spot for them to do that.

• Like Like x 1
              • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
                Ratings:
                +88
                Thnaks Sil

argh i think i may have killed them! I moved them last night and they now look like they have had it! :( They are all wilting or look like they are. I've attached a pic. thumbnail_IMG_2912.jpg

• silu

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Hmm. Would have been better to wait until the leaves had started to die back as I suggested @Shaneoak !:). However, don't try and drown the plants with water, keep the soil damp and just as importantly spray the leaves. If I was you I would remove at least half the leaves snipping them off near to the base of the plant, this will reduce transpiration. As the plants will naturally be loosing their leaves in a few weeks time don't assume they are dying yet. You won't know for certain until next spring. If you took the majority of their roots when you moved them they have a good chance of surviving.:fingers crossed:

• Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
                Ratings:
                +88
                Thank you for the tips Silu. I was in such haste because i'm away in Sweden this week, so thought i'd move them before i went. Okay, i will give it a go and fingers crossed. I will let you know.