1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Border edging

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Feline, May 8, 2006.

1. Feline

Feline Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whether I should have put this in the lawn section or here!!

I am looking for cost effective ideas to edge my borders. I want to make a distinct edge between the lawn and the border to tidy it up an make mowing easier.
    ideally I'd like brick or cobble edging flush to the lawn level - but the bricks I've seen so far for the amount I'd need are going to be expensive!!

Anyone got any budget ideas to create an edge?

Thanks

Feline.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    We use concrete edgings. They are about 2 feet long and 6 inches by 2 inches. We put them in upside down down so the flat end is on top, giving a 2 inch strip for the mower wheel to run along. They are about �£1.60 ish from Wickes. Mind we have used over a 1,500 of them on our grass paths.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    It does depend how much you need and whether you've got transport. I've got the same problem and I'm going to go to the local builders' reclamation yard to see if they have any bricks I can afford, or failing that 2x3 or 2x4 treated timber, cut in lengths as required, as a shorter lived option to be replaced gradually by something nicer! [​IMG]

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheapest is probably plastic edging - classiest is Victorian or repro stoneware "rope" edging. Found a lot buried in my garden soon after moving in. Rescued and restored now it looks great. You can see some in this photo
    [​IMG]

5. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a similar problem, except that i have laid a gravel garden which is now an inch higher than the lawn can anyone suggest another way of separating the two levels [i have some crazy paving available]
    ps the lawn is half circular and i am considering using paving blocks which are half the price of bricks

[ 09. May 2006, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Lady Gardener ]

6. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around this time of year.

Wilkinsons is also good for that sort of stuff - their prices are generally around the "offer" price in Morrisons for virtually identical stuff.