box blight?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Jane Lee, May 22, 2024.

1. Jane Lee

Jane Lee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Are these bare patches a sign of box blight? This has occurred in several places along the hedge. Last year I got someone to prune the hedge. They used an electric hedge trimmer. In years past I have pruned the hedge with secateurs, which takes the better part of a day so I thought I would save myself some time. Could the trimmer have caused this problem? It's such a shame because I've had no problems at all with the hedge before and I've had it for years.

blight.jpg

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +394
    It’s hard to see any detail in the photos but it could be caterpillar damage. Have you seen or is there any remnants of webbing?

Using a hedge cutter in itself shouldn’t cause any issues. Not sterilising/ cleaning between sites will risk transferring disease such as box blight.

I use a small hand-held battery hedge trimmer, quite light and very easy to use/control. I couldn’t manage doing it all using secateurs or shears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jane Lee

Jane Lee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      No remnants of webbing that I can see. Your thoughts echo my own, that disease might have been transferred. I think I will copy your example and invest in a battery hedge trimmer. Thank you for your advice.

• Like Like x 1