1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Boycott peat!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nikolaos, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    There some nurseries that stock a retail version its called Sylvagrow, I beleive there is someone who sells it on ebay, and another on Amazon, not sure how much it costs. Another great compost that uses wood fibre is Bulrush.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
      Ratings:
      +1,218

Not for much longer...….

• Like Like x 2
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,320
        Melcourt have a stockist locator: here Where To Buy | Melcourt
        I know some of the Blue Diamond Garden Centres stock the Sylvagrow range. They have only started to stock it recently and it's selling well (chat with manager last Saturday).

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,331
          Thanks @Cuttings and @NigelJ. However I'm a bit sceptical. The webpage told me 2 places near me - I am fairly certain NBGW didn't sell it (and they're closed), and the local nursery they mention is very small and last time I went didn't have much of anything. However now that I know that is the trade name, I'll look out again when we can finally go out buying!

• Like Like x 3
          • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
            Ratings:
            +1,200
            I agree some places can look drab, but I know there are multiple gold and silver gilt Chelsea medal winners, or providers to the so say elite garden designers, that if you visited their nursery, the common reaction is REALLY, FROM HERE, myself I do prefer neat and tidy, IMO it shows pride, but if you have the likes of Andy Sturgeon etc, demanding your plants, quality will over ride appearence.
            There is a grower of Bourgainvillea in wiltshire, who has won several gold medals, and silver gilt medals in RHS shows, but if you go to the nursery you would think its run by travellers. Its all in the quality, for example Blackmore and Langdon, won consecutive Chelsea gold medals for umpteen years for Delphiniums, Begonia, gloxinias, if you went to their nursery to purchase, before knowing their track record, you would turn around in the make shift car park and leave, before looking at the produce

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
              Ratings:
              +1,218
              PS we burn turf. as it is called over here. I buy it from my neighbour the ferryman who has two fields he cuts from. The money thus stays on the island and helps him feed his family. The alternative is Polish coal. So go figure the carbon footprint for that, and ESB costs a small fortune. There was a ferocious debate on a certain Irish forum on this and "boy" " Did we elderly sinners get thrashed for daring to try to keep warm without running up a huge power bill. I have used about 40 bags the entire year. Most of the delay re the stopping of commercial burning is because of the considerable job losses involved. One will remain open combining turf and biomass.

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 2