1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain-dead Moron!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Scorpio1968, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Business Development Manager
    Ratings:
    +245
    Opened the front door to go to work this morning and found some brain-dead moron had uprooted a recently planted Verbena and dumped it on the gravel drive in front of the door steps. I would at least have expected to have found it sitting on the roof of the wifes car, or even strewn over the road, but no, just dumped by the steps. What puzzles me is why that particular plant? There's 3 of them so why not upproot them all? Why not uproot any of the other plants and shrubs? I do know why they didn't try and uproot the giant Teasel though - even i wont go near that thing at over 6 feet tall lol.

It's only a plant i know but it still cost money, not to mention the time and effort planting and maintaining etc, especially having Sciatica. I keep saying i'll put CCTV in so perhaps now i will, even just to see the bugger in action and if i know who they are and where they live i could drop round one night and deliver some free compost in their door.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm afraid you'll always get that kind of thing. I got sick of going out boozing down town because every time, as I walked home around 3AM, I'd find myself picking up uprooted plants from the communal planters and having to go back and replant them, knowing even while full of beer that they may still be doomed unless it pours down within a few hours.

Was the plant easily reachable from the public pavement? What I think happens is chavvy kids randomly pull them as they walk past, and if they come out (which a newly planted one will easily do), they then just fling them, all without so much as changing their stride. They think it makes them cool.

I planted a few young trees in my front garden, right near the small boundary wall. When I ordered them I was careful to choose the size such that they wouldn't poke up above the wall. My logic being I want them to keep a low profile until they've put down enough roots to resist random vandalism. Seems to be working, but it shouldn't be necessary to think like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,192
      So very sorry Scorpio. I think that Low Life are jealous and resent your display but I will NEVER understand what pleasure they get out of it. This type of vandalism crops up from time to time on GC and,even from here, I can feel your hurt Scorpio,
      Jenny
      first :grphg: many more will follow...

• mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,626
      Mindless a*s*holes, people like this make my blood boil :wallbang:
      Like Jenny says jealousy of having something nice that they haven't!
      Clueless if I go out boozing till 3 am and I bend over to replant I'd never get back up :heehee:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Sorry to hear about this Scorpio, do they really gain any pleasure from it? The mind boggles. :scratch: I don't know about making a delivery of compost I think a few bags of horse manure would do the trick. ;)

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,318
      Can't believe what goes through their tiny minds :gaah:, a similar thing happened here a couple of weeks ago, some morons smashed the glass in everyones greenhouse on the allotments at the bottom of the garden, why!!!!!, my greenhouse in the garden was on its last legs so one of the allotment holders gave me theirs, just had to get replacement safety glass, no point anyone having a greenhouse on there now the idiots would only do it again :wallbanging: , said he can have some room in it next year if he likes, the allotment secretary even phoned round the hospitals to try and find the culprits as the mess they made amazed none ended up in A & E, the owners of a nearby hotel have the right idea, sick and tired of yobs pulling up their conifer hedge they wound barb wire round the stems that stopped them.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Same happened at my dad's allotment block. Some idiots smashed all the glass out of everybody's greenhouse.

I think punishment should fit the crime. You reap what you sow. So if you catch someone ripping a young tree to bits for fun, trees soak up carbon dioxide and release oxygen, the killed tree wont, stick the culprit in a room with just enough oxygen to prevent them dying for just long enough to scare the living daylights out of them. Someone smashes up a greenhouse, greenhouses are often used to grow food, destroying the greenhouse reduces the food availability, lock them up without food for a week.

• Like Like x 9
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,322
          So sorry to hear , I totally understand even if it only cost 1 pence

I had this 3 houses ago , so I planted Pampas grass and lawn no one would of known I loved gardening , coudnt have any baskets or pots out the front as they would just get stolen , I came home one day and found 3 of the plumes in the road , I know it sounds evil but to see blood on them made me laugh. Thinking that will teach them.... little ........"busted"....

Spruce

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          Love it!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
          • liliana

liliana Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,580
            If you do bad deeds, then bad deeds will happen to you.:th scifD36: As you say, nice to see the plants bite back. :redx: It is so frustrating, to see you hard work, sometimes under difficult conditions, money does come into it as well.

Someone, along time ago, pinched a large frog from my front garden. They had to open my gate, but I never heard whoever it was. Hope his hands dropped off. :yes:

Luckily where we are now, we only have a small flower bed under the front window, and my dog Fred, would hear a pin drop outside. :doggieshmooze:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Very sorry to hear that Scorpio. You need to do the CCTV thing. One day it may be something worse. Makes the Police job much easier if evidence is easily gathered / provided to them. Be careful that your CCTV doesn't point onto a public right of way (I think that may not be allowed - but worth checking, I may have got wrong-end-of-stick).

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Yes scorpio, I join with the others in offering you my support. I'm not sure about CCTV, it could just make you obsessive. The idiots out there may just see it like a red rag to a bull. Can you save your verbena? Can you plant berberis Darwinii at the front? Prickly but evergreen and lovely orange flowers in spring. I know,it's great to get revenge by calling on these yobs but...... A neighbour once allowed his dog to regularly foul the end of my drive so I picked it up, rang his doorbell and pointed to the dog poo I had placed on his doorstep. The dog fouling stopped.

• Like Like x 3
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Next years planting scheme,

Poison Ivy, Butchers Broom, Giant Hogweed, Prickly Pear (in a pot painted with anti climb paint) Spurge & Dumb Cane.

• Like Like x 4
              • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                Please expand on these a bit Zigs - sounds like the side effects of these plants are interesting ! :stirpot: :snork:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                How so?

I see it as:

Install CCTV
                Some damage / theft, find culprit photo on CCTV and give to police
                No damage/theft do nothing, ignore CCTV, carry on life as normal

But maybe I've missed something?