1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not normally a geat admirer of pink flowers, but have to admit that many of the pink Brugs are really quite stunning. I slowly got rid of most of mine because they were getting out of hand and taking up too much precious space in summer. I just have the one now - a rather fine insignis hybrid with very large, heavily fragrant pink flowers. It has wintered outside very well and is just starting into growth.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,903
    This is my favourite picture of mine ...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
    • walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Just a cople of Suaveolens type flowered right up to christmas
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Thats not my hand

• Like Like x 1
      • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,903
        They are so graceful, walnut. Yes, I would have wondered about the bracelet! Hhrrmm!

• Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Got just about 100% germination on my seeds - 4 B. arborea and 3 B. sanguinea and can't wait until they get like the above!

• cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        It looks like all my plants and the cuttings have survived this year,(some usually die in February) so I'm going to have a patio full this year. I wish I could bottle the scent!

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,903
        Hi, cajary, and welcome to GC!

There are a few of us Brugmansia / Daturas fans on GC so you've come to the right place!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

• cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Thanks for the greeting,Lady of Leisure. I've been told that taking cuttings from above the "Y" gives smaller, more compact plants. Has anyone tried this?

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,903
        Hello again, cajary. I buy mine already a metre tall and in bloom here and they are permanent so I don't take cuttings.

Perhaps you can find if this information is true on the link walnut gave or the one I gave on page 1 of this thread.

• walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Hi cajary,
        not really true cuttings above the "y" will flower quicker than cuttings taken below the "y" the size is usually governed by the size of the container they are in and the amount of feed you give them, to really enjoy the true beauty of brugs let them reach their true potential,have you tried growing them out in the garden? if you have limited room try growing Daturas or Iochromas

• garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Dave P, please can you tell me which one you have. I don't have room for more than one now, so I'd like to choose the best variety I can.

• Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
        +2,931
        I suffered from loads of 2cm long green caterpillars last year on mine ...... They were stripping the leaves right back !!!!

• garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        The last one I had I planted in the garden and the same thing happened. I think they're better in large pots, not stood amongst other foliage.

• cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Hi guys, thanks for the info. Would they be O.K. iin the ground, walnut? Mine seriously don't like the frost.
        What would you do? cut them back hard in the Autumn and put a heavy mulch on them? If the ground was wet, would't they rot from the bottom?
        Mine seem sensitive to light as well as temp. so I wouldn't like to cover them with anything opaque.
        I'm not in love with Daturas, I have grown them but the seed cases are irresistable to my grand-children and I'm sure they are as poisonous as Brugs.
        Igrow the Brugs in 14" pots and use Growmore as Fertilizer but they're still about6-7 feet tall before they flower so I think I'll use the tip abou taking the cuttings from above the "Y". Hopefully they'll flower abit faster and will no longer resemble Triffids!
        Thanks again to all you guys, this has been really useful