1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Cajary ther are quite a few species of Brugmansia and many hybrids, B.arborea B.aurea B.suaveolens B.versicolour B.sanguinea B.insignis B.vulcanicola are the main groups the commonest one in this country is the suaveolens type , they are frost tender you can plant them in the ground in summer but at the sign of first frosts cut them back to within 6"-8" of the ground use the cut off stems in 6" pieces (or longer for cuttings) you can root them indoors in jars of water on the window ledge, the plant in the ground you can heavily mulch and it should come up again the following year. If you don't want to risk it outside when you have cut it back dig it up trimming round the rootball so it fits into a large pot keep it frost free and not too dry start it off again the following spring. Two of the other types are to a certain degree more frost tolerant B.sanguinea and B. arborea they will drop their leaves after a frost but will recover however I would still treat them as the other type to be on the safe side these two are also self pollinating so you can save the seeds off them as a back up.They are very heavy feeders and also very thisty plants a good organic soup is good.
    Can see were you are comming from with the kids being attracted to the seed pods of the daturas(known as thorn apples)but lots of plants are toxic millaflores came up with a list so vigilance is needed
    Nathan its surprising that caterpillars like them so much with them being so toxic but you have to be extra vigillant and pick them off its usually small cabbage whites thats the offenders.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Hi walnut, I'm not sure what varieties they are but they're the same as on P.2 of this thread so I guess they're Sauveolens. As I'm going to have quite a few this year, I'll try both your suggestions re. planting in the ground, as well as growing them in pots. It should be interesting to compare.
      Never had any trouble with caterpillars but snails seem to live in them, I spend a lot of time picking them off by hand, all the best.

• garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Does anyone know where I can get a blue Iochroma from (or seeds/cuttings)? [​IMG]

• walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      g_f the only iochroma plant for sale in this country is from jungle seeds,
      http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/
      Seeds are like hens teeth if you go on ebay .com and search brugmansia ther are sometimes iochroma plants/seeds on there as they are cousins of brugs the problem is if you do find someone who will export to the uk it will cost you especially if its a live plant. I will be growing one this year maybe have cuttings next year

• garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks Walnut, although I have traced some plants at KobaKoba and some seeds from Chiltern seeds.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,918
      Hi, those of you who love these beauties.

My beautiful pink one is suddenly getting yellow leaves starting from the bottom and falling off ... just in it's prime of growing! :eek:

It's on irrigation now and has been fertilised and iron added.

Help!

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,953
      [​IMG] Good evening LoL,
      I find this often happens to mine,assuming yours are well ahead of ours,some leaves yellow and I always remove them,but for the most they will flourish.....maybe there are to many leaves and it's a natural rejection...hopefully there will be enough left to provide energy for even more gorgeous blooms.Good Luck..

• Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      I'm growing daturas,they are about 6" high at moment, I got the seed pods from a neighbour of my mums, she did'nt plant them she said the birds must of dropped the seeds. [​IMG]

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,918
      Thanks, roders, my dearest. It's suddenly got very leggy ... I mean suddenly this week! And you've seen my beautiful blooms from last year.

TO, I had Daturas but must admit didn't do well with me and I had a beautiful purple and white frilly one, sad it didn't like it here.

• Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Daturas you sent me are doing very well LoL - I know I may loose them if weather turns, but there are so many that I have planted some out and given some to friends.

Its lovely to have plants that grow from seeds sent through cyberspace, a lovely reminder of friendship.

My bruggies seem to be growing a mile a minute too!

• walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Leaving my Brugs and Dats out 24/7 now I keep a close eye on the weather ready to dash out with fleece in case of late frost, one of my iochromas is flowering another almost will post pictures shortly.
      Lol perfectly natural for your Brugs to lose leaves in fact I take them off the lower stem if you then have the stems bare at the bottom you can put a ring of copper tape around the stem this will stop slugs and snails getting acess to the foliage it also saves using excessive feed and insecticides on unwanted foliage.

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,918
      Hello, Waco ... writing at 4am only means one thing so hope you're not suffering too badly! [​IMG] So pleased yours are doing well and can't wait to see some pictures.

walnut, I certainly don't remember this leaf loss in years past, but I'll take yours and roders word for it. I'll see about this copper tape. I think roders has it around a pot with Hostas.

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,918
      Hello whoever! It's been mentioned several times about copper bands/wire and now copper tape around pots and plants. We've been to the DIY today (with garden centre) and can't find any such thing. T'other half says he only knows of insulated copper wiring.

Where do I get this, please? If someone could steer me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

• walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
    • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,918
      Thank you very much, walnut, for that link. I shall see about ordering the tape as they do ship to here.