1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Help! :scratch: Ccan anyone tell me, is this a Datura ? I sowed some seed in mid March and this is all that grew in the pot, it took so long, I'm wondering if it's just a seed that was in the compost.

[​IMG]

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like a Datura Terrier,
    Your patience has been rewarded Kate.:gnthb:

3. Kelly38

Kelly38 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    What happens during winter - are they hardy? I saw one in the bargain bit of our local GC today really cheap.
    Kelly

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks,Walnut, do they always take that long to germinate? The seed packet says they are 'easy' plants to grow :hehe: I don't suppose that it will do much this summer.
    I got the seed from T & M last year. When I ordered seed from them this year, I mentioned I was disappointed that none of the Datura had germinated and they sent me a free packet of Datura seed :) Two days later, this seedling appeared. Is it too late to sow the new seed now or should I wait 'till spring?

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Terrier they can take 1 week to 9 months to germinate,it should flower this summer and set seed ,you should have loads of seed for next,sometimes if you leave the seed on the plant they will self seed and come up next spring.If you can keep them at a min of 8-10c overwinter(in a conservatory or greenhouse)you can plant them now I plant all year round.
    Kelly are you refering to Daturas or Brugmansias I would not recommend trying to overwinter outside it can be done but in my oppinion not worth it,there are two types of Datura that will die back to the ground(D.inoxia andD.wrightii ) and come back the following year most will die off completely but may self seed.Brugmansias to be on the safe side cut them back bring them inside in a frost free area.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    :) Devoting my time now to Daturas, Cannas and Hibiscus since my Brug has given up the ghost ... I was delighted to see a deed pod yesterday on my Purple Frilly Knickers / Blueberry Swirl / whatever Datura ...

[​IMG]

I guess they are self-fertile as opposed to the Brugs as I never in all the years had a pod on my Brug.

Sorry, not the best of shots for me of late but it was getting dusk last night when I took this ....

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Quite right my lady they are self fertile you have 3seed pods there.:thumb:

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Lady. Not sure about the seed pods but I'd love to see your "purple frilly knickers":wink::lollol::lollol:

9. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    Look what I've got today !!!! :yho::yho: Ignore the holes in the leaves (trying to deal with them)

[​IMG]

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    :gnthb:Well done Kate your patience has been rewarded,what about the scent ?.

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks great.:gnthb: Another one just ready to break. What's the colour and scent. It looks pinkish but might be white.:scratch:

12. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    It's white but with a pink tinge to the end of the trumpet. It smells wonderful - didn't know the scent was that good. The bud that's breaking is on the same plant, but looks to be yellow!!
    I did buy 3, one white, one pink and one yellow so we'll have to wait and see, although the other two plants have no sign of buds yet. ~ Watch this space ~

13. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just been out to look and the flower is completely pink today! The other one still looks yellow though :scratch:

Hope they all going to be ok today - there are quite high winds - don't want then snapping off.

14. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Well done, Kate ... I wish I was as lucky as you ...

Walnut, this is probably for you but anyone else please jump in and let me know what you think.

We've had enough of looking at our stick of a Brug which has been a joy for years as you know so decided to dig it up today. This is the result ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When this came out of its pot (was it last Autumn?) it was planted in this rather large hole with fertilised substrata and pellet fertiliser. In the meantime it has been fertilised with pellets and occasionally diluted coffee grounds and the odd liquid feed. It is watered daily heavily with a hose ... as you can see by the crumbly dry red earth admidst the rock. There is free drainage below in the rock structure of the ground.

Now this is our question ... what is this grey stuff ????? We have examined it and it does not appear to be mould of any sort.

Is it safe to cut up the mother plant and root it?

Any help or advice is more than welcomed and thank you in advance.

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi my lady,the grey stuff appears to be "mycelium" a type of fungus not necessarily harmfull it's probably feeding off the organic matter in the hole it part of the breaking down process,you can cut the mother plant up, cut off one of those main stems just where the damp mark is cut it clean place it in a bucket of water about 3" deep,cut the top growth off just above where it forks use this for smaller cuttings,you need to keep the water freshand may have to change it every few days keep it out of the sun but somewhere bright in a few weeks you should have roots formed,transplant into a pot and grow on,leave this one in the pot it will be easier to control its needs.

• Informative Informative x 1