1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    Thank you my dear walnut ... I knew you'd come to my rescue .... :luv:

I've had a good read today on Mycelium ... and what an interesting read that was .... :help:

This evening (as it's still too hot in the daytime to do things) I cut up the mother plant .... :cry:

After much discussion we put the large (35cm) tub containing the Hibiscus Newbiscus in the hole that was left and quite deep once all the loose red clay/substrata/whatever was removed. We have not 'filled in' around the edges of the pot but have put the rocks around the edge to 'fill the gaps' created and to make it look attractive.

His Lordship would like to know if it is alright to put the earth with the Mycelium around other shrubs in the garden (as it appears to have some beneficial factors) rather than dispose of it?

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Tell my lord that should be ok.:thumb:

3. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kate,

Have seen your pics of your pink brug and have just replied to some help from Walnut on the FlowerGinger thread talking about a pink that I have and believe it to be the same as yours ! Picked mine up as a fairly poor small plant locally with label saying 'rose'. It has grown like a weed and is now over five foot tall. I was also astonished that the emerging and opening flowers appeared yellow and then on opening overnight appeared white and following morning were going pink! Said to Walnut this might be one that I try and overwinter as is it so vigourous. Good luck with yours.
    Carol

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I finally broke down and bought 2 brugs on e-bay. They are small plants about 4 in high. Should I keep them in the greenhouse over winter?

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Right. Got them all pruned to 9". They're all in the greenhouse, (temp set at 5C). They seem to want to keep growing.:skp: Should I give them more than a thimble full of water once a month until they want to go to sleep:scratch:

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Err! Whats happened to Walnut:skp: Did I miss something while I was on holiday:scratch:

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    We have since corresponded Caj xx

As our mentor is not really with us any more, perhaps someone else .... Marley? Strongy? can help here.

As to my situation two plus months ago, I threw away two of the stems and potted up the main one. It now has a nice 'crop' of hair ... sorry leaves ... :hehe: However, it has also sent up a shoot from the base, I guess from where one of the cut off stems came from.

My question is this, should I cut off the sprouting shoot as I suspect I should and is it worth trying to potting it on?

Any advice would be gratefully received ... thank you. :ntwrth: