Brugmansia grown in a pot

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by flowerpotty, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,897
    Pete .. my guess it would be one of Sis's (ie for those who don't know, my Sis is Kedi-Gato from Germany/Florida).

This is her 'mother plant' in Florida ...

[​IMG]

And my first Brug should be flowering this week ... she's five years old now ...

John, if you would like seeds of any of these, please let me know. With Sis and I they are perennials and we are both happy to share seeds but I often have to distribute Sis's from Florida because of the laws there.

• Like Like x 2
    • davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      Main problem I get is Red Spider if they are left inside ,but if they are outside they not to bad ,a bit of whitefly but can live with that .Strangely the variagated variety never seems to get Red spider ?? You can certainly smell you have brugs in the evening .
      Dave

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,620
      Thanks Vicky, I might take you up on the offer :)

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +49,897
      Just let me know John.

Dave, I read recently that red spider mite is more prevalent with dampness which is probably why I don't get it ... :yess: I read that if you water your plants overhead it will p i s s them off (am I alowed to say that or will the forum military police get me?). Cannot vouch for this as I don't have that problem. :heehee:

How is everything else going with you?

• davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      They are well worth the trouble when they flower . I took some photos today and was just going to put them on but they have gone on my cameras internal memory not my card, so cannot fine a lead to download . Will do them again tomorrow.Things growing well now thanks ..
      Dave

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +49,897
      What an excuse ... look forward to seeing the pics tomorrow Dave.

Shutting down now guys ... we are a pleasant 23c now with a breeze so lovely sleeping weather.

Speak anon.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,013
      Dave - thanks for the info about where you got the plants. I had not heard of Reads of Norfolk. I looked at their site but it seems its not Brugmansia season at present, the cutting are too big to send out!

If you have plants that you purchased or got from friends, I assume they were all cuttings, so flower all over - ie don't have to wait till they fork like a seed grown plant. So why do you take more cuttings from them. Is it so you have more plants to swap, or is it that you have to permanently manage the plant size? I will be taking cuttings from all my seed sown plants to get plants that flower from a low height. But i han't thought past that part.

Pete - that was a really nice flower. I have never seen any flower do that. Now if you could breed one that always looked like your second picture you could be on to a winner. :WINK1:

Vicky, I have always understood that the purple Datura are D. metel, which is an annual. Do yours really come back - or do they self seed?

[​IMG]
      As we are talking about the Brug family - I thought I would show my first Blue Brugmansia (Iochroma australis) flowers.

• Like Like x 2
      • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +49,897
        Oh, Peter, your I australis is absolutely stunning. Pete sent me a root 18 months or so ago and although it has never died on me it has never grown over 10cms tall and is in the same location as my I cyanea. :scratch: The latter is nearly two meters tall and is 3-4 years old now. This was it this morning ...

[​IMG]

My Datura metel is the original ... I have never been fortunate to have it self-seed. It is a perennial ... but you must bear in mind I don't get frost. :)

Datura metel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,013
          Victoria, I love that I. cyanea. I am currently growing three different types of cyanea including 'Plum Paradise' from seed. I don't know how true the seeds will be. My packet of blue I. australe produced some white flowered plants as well - so perhaps not that true. :heehee:

How long do they flower for you? I have read that under the right circumstances they can flower for up to 10 months of the year. But I am not expecting that here.

Thanks for your reference to Datura metel. But that also says it is an annual. And I am using annual in the proper sense - not meaning tender perennial. So ....... :scratch: I know inoxia is perennial - but I don't think it is ever purple. What shape are the fruit. Are they very spiney like inoxia, or just a bit lumpy like metel?

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +49,897
          Hi Peter. Actually, that Wiki reference is contradictory as it starts off saying it's a perennial shrub and then that it's an annual herb. :scratch: My I cyanea goes from year to year but it often loses all or most of it's leaves. I cut it back by half this Spring to bush it out as it gets very straggly.

I guess my I cyanea blooms for about six months ... will try to make a note. I have never had seed pods on it nor on my Brugmansia but the Datura has round spikey balls. D stramonium (the Thornapple) grows wild here especially on dry river beds and it is an annual.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,320
            Seed was sown in early March I think John.
            But still in the greenhouse at the moment, it was just one plant I was hurrying along.:o

In general dats tend to flower the same year, fairly easily, unlike Brugs.

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,320
            I cant understand why the I.australis I sent you has not grown Victoria.:scratch:

Just look at this one that was cut to the ground by frost last winter.
            I put the water bottle there to give some scale, this is the new growth this year.
            [​IMG]

And self sown seedlings all over the place.
            [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,320
              Looking forward to seeing your plants Dave.

I have my first Brug starting to flower for about 5 years.

I gave up on them due to RSM, but now I have a spray that appears to work.:yess:

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +49,897
              Pete, I shall have to go and have a serious talk to my I australis tomorrow. :yess:

• Like Like x 1
              • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,013
                Thanks Victoria for the info about the flowering period. Thats a good length of time. There are loads of beautiful plants and shrubs around, but for me, if they don't flower for long they don't earn their keep.

Pete - what spray is that? I don't think I have ever had RSM, but its clear that its only a matter of time. :gaagh: