1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddleia cuttings advice please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tinkerbelle61, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Tinkerbelle61

Tinkerbelle61 Happiest Outdoors!

Ratings:
    +697
    Back in October when cutting some overhanging branches from my neighbours old buddleia bush, I decided to use some to take cuttings. I have done this before and they just rotted. This time I put them in the heated propagator and today was able to pot up seven cuttings that all had produced long, thin roots.

The greenhouse has a small heater which prevents any night frosts, but not knowing what to do I have put them back in the heated propagator. Do I leave these cuttings in the propagator or can they now go on a bench in the greenhouse?

3B9A90CF-1A02-4542-B14E-8A3F03D9DB00.jpeg

8E0FD447-6AA8-4861-B894-541DB7EC0DBA.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,330
      Definitely start hardening them off. First by moving out of the propagator, give them a couple of weeks in the greenhouse and then if the weather's OK move them to a sheltered place outdoors.

• Like Like x 4
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        To be honest with you, Tinkerbelle, Buddleia is the one plant that propagates easily just by sticking the cuttings in a pot and leaving it outside. Some Gardeners I know even joke that you can stick it in concrete and it will grow!!:heehee: You can even see it growing in the gutters of buildings and the rubble of old disused factories.
        I used to use the prunings of Buddleia for support sticks, that were pruned a couple of years before, in the borders but found that they would take root by the end of the season! So, they're probably better off being stuck in pots of compost and left outside to get on with it.:dunno:

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          I did the same as ARMANDII a couple of years ago when given some cuttings from a Buddleja. One didn't take but the other is in my garden:)

• Like Like x 3
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,330
            All that is true of hardwood cuttings, but Tinkerbelle's look to be softwood cuttings. They're more vulnerable to sudden changes in temperature and humidity, so gradual acclimatisation is the safest bet :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Tinkerbelle61

Tinkerbelle61 Happiest Outdoors!

Ratings:
              +697
              Thank you for your advice all, I will take them out of the heated propagator pronto and leave out on the bench until all this rain passes, then put them out side (out of labradors reach) during the day until the spring arrives.

• Like Like x 2