1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cabbages gone, caulis next?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Chiefsub, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Chiefsub

Chiefsub Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I've just torn out the stems of my cabbages in disgust. What I thought was slug damage (beer traps put in last week) has been caused by the tiny pupae of what I believe will become cabbage white butterflies.

The cauliflowers next to them are just coming through ... and they already have tiny eggs beneath the leaves.

Next year I'll get some old net curtain over them early on, but do I try to save the little caulis or do I plant some more seed and make sure the new plants are protected?

Also, are there any environmentally friendly sprays that anyone can recommend?

Attached Files:

2. WoolyBack

WoolyBack Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    You should be able to just rub off any eggs you see with your thumb and look for the green caterpillars if there are any about. I squish them between the leaf and a finger. Could be something has been along and eaten the eggs for you if you are lucky. I wouldn't be thinking of abandoning them just yet. The plants are looking quite healthy.
    The marks in the leaves look like where the eggs were attached. They have to eat quite a bit of leaf as caterpillars before they pupate and the leaves don't look eaten just yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,062
      Yeah just squash them, but look every day, I find cabbage whites usually lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,191
        I use butterfly netting over all my brassicas, even so one or two find their way in. Rub off the eggs before the blighters hatch.

• Agree Agree x 1