1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone identify and tell me what to do with these?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Nw82, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Nw82

Nw82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello over the last week or so I have noticed my grass dying significanly and I out it down to lots of rain. However tonight I have gone out and found hundreds of these larvae type things(see pics) on my pathway? Could these be eating the grass, what are they and how do I get rid of them? Help? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    They look like Leatherjackets which are the larva of the Crane Fly( Daddy Longlegs) The larva will eat the roots of your grass and if there is enough of them they will kill it.The Crane Flys lay their eggs when they are flying around in August/September and these hatch and grow into the Larva.

If you can encourage Starlings into your garden with bird seed they will be a natural predator and will often congregate in large flocks and will enjoy pecking at your grass and feeding on these terrible pests.I am not sure if there is a chemical solution as I just rely on the Starlings to do their work for free:smile:

3. Nw82

Nw82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much I will try that. If anyone else has any suggestions please help!

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,340
    You can also buy nematodes that you water on to control them, but temperature must be warm enough and soil not too dry. Bird seed is cheaper. Crows and rooks will also eat them happily these can make a bit of a mess of your lawn as can badgers, if you have any, which also eat them.

5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,510
  7. Nw82

Nw82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everyone's help, I am trying the plastic sheet method and not have much luck getting birds into the garden, in the meantime my grass is just turning into a patch of mud. I can't find anyone that sells nematodes at this time of year? Anyone have any other ideas or know a nematode suppler that supply at this time of year? Lawn is really disappearing now!

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,510
    Nematodes are not usually sold for the winter.