Can I Chop

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Larburnum, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Hi, Bayleaf, Pete and Fran,
    I am sorry I think I have misled you about the skimmia. After searching through the internet I think the shrub I would like to reduce in size and which you can see in the left of the above pictures is a self pollinating AUCUBA ROZANNIE. It has lovely dark green foliage with big red berries, but in the six years I have had it I have never seen a flower on it. Do you know what they look like?
    I have the spotted aucuba as well and it has small purple flowers before the new leaves come but no berries.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,378
    I'm not familiar with that one Larburnum, but it must have a flower of some kind before the berries. Bayleaf will probably be along later to sort things out. [​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As Pete says - if there's fruit there has got to be a flower and they will be sited where the berries form. They are likely to be very small, and green for you not to spot them. From the shape of those berries, take a really close look at your shrub each month for any little bump that was not there before.