1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use chicken manure pellets on Hydrangeas?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Jul 17, 2015.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I have been Googling and found that some sites suggest it's okay to use, but one article said to avoid it as it's too high in nitrogen.

I've bought a bucket load for the shrubs and will shortly be planting out some Hydrangeas (have a gardener coming to widen my borders for me).

a) Can I use chicken manure pellets?
    b) Can I use them now or best to leave until spring?

Thanks in advance :)

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Good morning @merleworld I personally wouldn't and don't use chicken manure either pelleted,fresh or in a powder form on my Hydrangeas ,This is only my own personal view gained over the years,to me I think it promotes to much leaf growth ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      I have been using it for years on my garden borders and I find it good stuff and it helps to give the plants and shrubs a much needed feed after the long cold wet winters we seem to have (either snow,frost or rain).

This year I have a Tree Mallow growing near my front door which must have come from my bird seed and dropped by the birds and it has grown very tall(which could be its natural height)and which has been fed on chicken pellets and it is full of flowers with more to come and the bees have loved all this food source.

I have even given my hydrangea a feed of these pellets which I sprinkled on the top of the soil in the container and then watered in as normal and I up to yet haven't had lots of growth but will have to see what happens to it next year as I probably won't add any pellets to the container.

Why don't you add a few pellets round the plants when you put them into the border as the feed will help the root system to get established.As we still have some of the summer months left and I think it will help.Dont use them after the Autumn as they will just sit in the ground doing nothing and so will be wasted.

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I'm going to refer you back to the articles you have already read. Look at the source: is the information based on someone's opinion, experience or fact?
        I could google any subject and find many people expressing their opinion one way and then find another article expressing the opposite opinion (but based on research/experience). Well, for me, it would be a no brainer which one I would lean towards.

The RHS do not recommend it on acid loving plants though (so, not on your Rhodo's then)!

I use my garden compost as a mulch and that is a mix of chicken manure and other compostables. But, I do let it rot for two years before I use it and it is mixed in with other stuff as it rots down.

Do you have a label for the pellets that you can refer to and see the nitrogen content and make a judgement call from that, perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Here's a picture of the label. If anybody could interpret I'd be grateful :)

[​IMG]