1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can my palms be saved?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Small flower, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Small flower

Small flower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mornin'

Now, I'm quite a novice gardener, and I'm thinking maybe I should've put my palms in the garage over winter! They survived the winter before last, but they don't look too healthy after this winter!

I've trimmed what looks like dead leaves, but to be honest they all look pretty dead and brown to me?

Can they be saved or should I just start again? They look pretty pathetic I must say!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    While you still have green you have hope :)
    Yes ... they should have had some protection over winter. I have had the same problem with one myself .. it looks pretty sorrowful too. But it will come back, although it will look bad for a year maybe :(
    Don't throw it out, but hide it behind something nice for a little while :)

3. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Palms generally hate getting their roots frozen, so potted ones should ideally be give some protection, or moved to a frost free place.

The Phoenix palms in the photo are borderline hardy for most of the UK, and less hardy at such a small size. However they are fast growing for palms and are amongst the cheapest palm options in the UK.

There is hope, for them, however if they do recovered please protect next winter as it may well knock them further back.

The central spears look very brown. Give them a gentle tug and if they come out treat the hole that remains with some anti fungus treatment.

For the size of them, if you want a good display this year i would be tempted to buy a couple of the 3.99 ones from Wilkinson's and start with those, however saying that I never say never and would pop those palms somewhere warm if you have a greenhouse that would be ideal.

Good luck!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I'm glad someone else has posted about this as I too have one of these Canary Palms, in a pot that looks very sorry for its self. There is one greenish frond, the rest are brown.

I've moved it into a sun trap at the front of the house, still in its pot - question is, should i cut off the brown fronds or leave them? If I cut them off, it'll look VERY dead!

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,044
    I've been struggling to establish a phoenix canariensis in the garden for years.

But after this last winter I'm now totally convinced they are not in anyway suited to my climate.

Small Flower you dont say what your location is, but I think in my area phoenix palms will always be at risk in a hard winter.
    As yours was not very big it might be as well to buy a new one this year as any recovery will be slow.

I recently bought a Butia Capitata from B&Q, it looks similar but I am told its hardier.

We shall see.:)

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Butia Capitata has been completely unphased by this years winter. Phoenix palms generally the smaller the more vulnerable. My biggies are fine I have some smaller ones which are looking a bit sad.

How are your bananas pete, mine are back to root stock.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,044
    Glad to hear it about the Butia, BM.

There is a fairly large Phoenix up the road from me and it looks very brown, maybe we had it a bit colder than you.

My nanas are all down to the ground in a slimey mess.

But I'm expecting regrowth.
    Next winter I will protect them, as I did when first planted, just to get them going again.

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Small flower,throw them on the compost they are dead and start again,next winter protect them.

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    There is a huge one growing in a garden round the corner from my in-laws in Chichester; when I say huge, I mean 15 foot high. Its also very brown and unwell looking-all its fronds are brown. Not looking good-if I had one that big (obviously been growing for years) and it was like that I'd be well p***** off!

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    Small flower, I personally would bin that Phoenix as it would take some time to get back to where it was, it looks too far gone to keep, the central spear doesn't look very alive.

This is what I thought might happen as so many, possibly hundreds of thousands of Phoenix being planted here over the last ten years or so (even in window boxes!!!). After so many mild winterstThis one was the test and it seems a majority of them didn't pass.

Now we have brown palms everywhere and there is nothing to say we won't have another winter like this one again. I guess we will keep trying.

Blue palms are more hardy but dearer to buy and much slower in growth, my Brahea and Butia are untouched.

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,923
    :) Good evening palm lovers.

We have had lots of problems with our palms this winter, in particular with the Phoenix canariensis ... all they do is chop them down to the base of the palm leaves and within no time (here) they are up and going again. Of course, this is assuming the base is alive ...

PS I have moved this thread into the Tropical section .... :)

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    Vicky, your hot summers make the difference to a speedy recovery, as you know it is not the same here.:(

13. Small flower

Small flower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for youir advice guys. I think I am going to get rid of them, as I haven't got room or time to wait for them to re-grow.

Tried to get one out of its pot yesterday - what a struggle!! The roots were so long and thick!