1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Poison Ivy climbing plant damage exterior walls over time?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by slimzee, May 6, 2010.

1. slimzee

slimzee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have it growing on the side of my house, its not overgrown or anything its a very
    manageable size.

I've been warned to get rid of it as over the years the **** that grows and covers the walls will leave marks everywhere.

Opinions please, at the moment I will be looking towards getting rid of it.

2. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    think they can cause damp issues, but not 100% sure.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    No expert here Slimzee but I had Ivy growing on my house - planted it myself.
    It looked lovely but it got up to the roof and was growing under the slates and pushing them off the roof.
    In the end I had to decide to get rid of it - big job.
    Ariel roots all over the building. Very unsightly once the greenery had gone. It took years to rid the sight of them. I think the sooner dealt with the better.

4. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    get shot of it as fast as you can, im a builder and have seen what this can do to a house:(

5. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    i also planted an ivy some years ago. within a short period of time it had grown up the building around the bedroom windows and up to the roof guttering. i initially thought it looked nice when it was greenery,as Alice said, very unsightly once the greenery was gone. i had allowed it to grow too high and it was out of control. the kids some nights could not go to sleep with the dark shapes
    of the ivy blowing in the wind showing through the bedroom blinds. i had alot of trouble getting rid of the thing .when i moved from the house there were still some bits of the vine stuck fast to the pebble dash walls :scratch:. Slimzee, my advice, get rid of the ivy and grow something else that will not take control and can cause damage to your property , and not keep the weans awake:hehe:
    music. :cool:

6. slimzee

slimzee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've cut the roots, however, i got a fairly large root from the ivy on my detached garage and didnt see much of it die at all, so I believe this needs more drastic action. I got a hacksaw and murdered all the roots, going to wait till a nice warm day and I will take off as much as I can by hand.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    A report in my paper a couple of days ago said that ivy was good for houses. It acted as an extra layer of insulation, keeping the house warmer in winter and cooler in summer, which makes a lot of sense.

I think growing on a bare wall really doesn't cause any problem. But the problems start when it reaches and grows over the windows, or gets in through cracks around the windows and roof and starts growing inside the house. As long as you trim it away from the windows and roof, I think it is an asset.