1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Canna & Cineria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Dec 14, 2021.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +280
    Hi All. I normally have my cannas in pots but in 2020 I planted a few in back border. I decided to do an experiment. I decided rather than dig them up I covered them once cut down with 2 layers of fleece and a plastic bucket on top.

I was a bit surprised that they survived the frost and grew really tall. This year slightly different experiment. I covered them in 4 layers of fleece and then about 2" 50 mm of old compost. It will be interesting what happens in 2022 if they survive. I put them also in front border which does catch the cold wind more so we will have to wait & see.

This year I purchased 3 cineria plants from B & M which I believe flower in spring. Once they had finished flowering I cut them down to about 4" 100mm as instructed on the web and I was told they would flower again. One died and the other 2 grew then started flowering. I left them in garden till about last week in November then put them in greenhouse which on cold nights with a small tube heater gets down to about 41F and about 54F during the day. They are still flowering like mad and I am impressed and will buy some more next year.

• Like Like x 4