1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat - safe climbers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nightofjoy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi.

We're looking for an alternative to sweet pea that is non-toxic to cats.

We did have a single sweet pea last year climbing a section of fence, not knowing they can be toxic. The risk may be small but we do as a rule try not to plant anything which may be harmful.

So just climbers, please & thank you.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,894
    I always have Sweet Peas and, more importantly, I always have cats. :cat-kittyandsmiley:

Sadly, probably 90% of what is in our garden is poisonous to our beloved furry friends. I must say, I don't know about Clematis as I can't grow it here.

I am sure someone knowledgeable will come along shortly and advise you.

:cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hu @nightof ,

These are all cat safe.....

Lonicera ( Honeysuckle )
      Passiflora ( Passion flowers )
      Tropaeleum ( Nasturtiums - annual or perennial )
      Parthenocissus

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,484
        We have had many threads about this subject. :blue thumb:

This was my answer on one of them (five years ago):-

"Cats, especially, are extremely good at knowing which plants are no good for them. They don't eat poisonous plants and rarely go near lilies growing outside.

They occasionally get problems with seeds from grasses, and similar plants, getting in their eyes and paws - but this is very rare. Unlike dogs, cats are pretty good at getting those sort of things out of their paws with their rasping tongue. They seem to instinctively avoid getting things in their eyes and, I think, tend to have their eyes almost closed when walking through potential problem plants.

In other words, cats are pretty good at looking after themselves and you shouldn't worry.

If you have lilies as houseplants you should cut off the pollen bearing stamens - which you should do anyway because they can stain your clothes and carpets."

And this is from another one 16 years ago (not mine):-

If you really want to scare yourself, take a look at:

http://www.realgardeners.co.uk/goodbadpois/poisonous_plants.htm

http://www.horseweb-uk.com/features/plantmain.htm

http://www.takingthelead.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm

There is even a CD-ROM from Kew http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/data/poisplts.html

Perhaps the BBC has a more balanced view: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/poisonousplants1.shtml

I know that I grow many toxic plants in the house and garden. Do you know them too? Thing is that most of these poisonous plants are also highly effective medicines. Forewarned is forearmed and the real risk is to children, pets and livestock.

Don't have nightmares ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Some cats use clematis stems as a scratching post, but some mesh around it will prevent it.