1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceanothus Yankee point- Help please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jodie Whyte, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Jodie Whyte

Jodie Whyte Apprentice Gardener

New home gardener
    Ratings:
    +4
    I’m super new to gardening so I apologise upfront. I’ve recently planted 5 , 4ft6 plants, they’ve been in the ground a week ago and they are looking very sad. They are on a slope against a fence. They’ve lost a lot of lower leaves and are starting to yellow. I’ve heard conflicting things- over water, under water? The soil where I live in coulsdon is chalk and clay. I mixed in John inner 3 and some good compost.
    I’m really puzzled.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,050
    Sounds to me like probably underwatering bearing in mind the weather lately.

Often the rootball dries out underground and becomes difficult rewet.

I'd dig one up and have a look, if the rootball is peat type compost once it dries out you can only really rewet by soaking.

Not sure Ceanothus likes chalk or clay for that matter, but I'm sure that is not causing the problem now after just a week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jodie Whyte

New home gardener
      Ratings:
      +4
      Hi Pete, Thanks for your response! I’ll try and dig one up in the morning. I’m also going to get a soil test kit and see what it tells me. I really hope I don’t lose them.This is what it was like last week.

Attached Files:

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      If as you say they’re on a slope, much of the water will just run away, I’d imagine. You’ll need to make sure the water has actually soaked them.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Jodie Whyte

New home gardener
        Ratings:
        +4
        Thank you! I’ve read so many conflicting things over the internet! They don’t like slot of water, let them dry out. Now I’ve found you guys I’ll leave the net alone! We’ve just had a huge down pour so I’ll see what they do.