1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chelsea - which are your favourite gardens?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, May 25, 2016.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    So GC folks, which are your favourite Chelsea gardens this year and what specifically do you like about them?

No prize for guessing my favourite: The L'Occitane Garden of course. Mediterranean style gardens have captured my imagination and interest at the moment. I'll be studying the plants James Basson used and getting more inspiration for my own garden.

2. wrinkly1

wrinkly1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    i,m afraid its losing its appeal for me now. it,s become more of a architects show.plus the one,s with unlimited money .it has no relation to normal gardens at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
      Ratings:
      +1,051
      Easier to say which one I dislike the most, and thats Dairmuds garden. He is always a bit barmy, and I have no issue with that. What I actually dislike is that I dont think he really went far enough with the craziness, seems a bit half measures to me. Not sure why he whacked the shed in either, looks good and not fitting with the theme imo.

Favourites a bit harder, but Im plumping for The Telegraph Garden, just appeals to me.

I havent been for a couple of years, its was getting a bit samey and I know they changed the judging criteria a couple of years back and seems to have improved it. However, it still seems very Formulaic though and with the same designers coming back year after year, its inevitable that they are going to feel very similar. The L'Occitane Garden (sorry Redwing), whiles clearly different in many way, its undeniable that it has the same feel as the design that James Basson did a few years back, but thats his style.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'm sorry but I stopped watching it a few years ago.

To me it's not about flowers and plants anymore. It's just about designs, designers and as said above architects.

I remember when they used to do say a 10 minute feature on a particular plant or species.

Also, it used to go in to more detail. For instance today it showed Ashwood Nurseries winning an award, in years gone by it would have shown a recorded piece from there showing what they grew etc.

Also, if todays episode was anything to go by the presenting and editing is total rubbish.

It showed ( I forgotten who it was now ) making a container only for it to be cut off half way through.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
        Ratings:
        +1,051
        I would like to see the RHS define a Theme each year and then designs should fit with that. The whole scenario where it's judged against the designers own brief doesn't work, it makes it too easy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,075
          I've never been to Chelsea, maybe I should have.
          Dont think I'd spend much time looking at the set piece gardens though.
          To me they are just like stage sets, totally unreal and often totally impractical to look after.

I'm sure there are much more interesting things going on in the show, but they dont getr much air time on the BBC.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            Pete: I agree with those who say it is theatre. No garden can ever be like the show gardens but what I really like is seeing how things look good with each other, the hard landscaping and the plantings and how they relate. I really learn a lot from looking at these relationships. And get ideas for my own garden too. There is so much creativity here in the designs and the building of the gardens. I just love it. We are so lucky to be able to have all of this brought into our living rooms for a week every year; it is the best gardening show in the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,616
              Personally I don't see what the appeal is, it doesn't relate to the gardens we all have. As Pete says "they are just like stage sets" and those sets are staged for everyone but gardeners. It needs a reality check, like many things it is about money and people, not plants and gardens.

I totally disagree. I'm so glad I don't own a television and this amongst many other things is why I've been without for five years. :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,389
                I did like it when I went there, but I do agree that garden objects and accessories almost prevail on anything else. I definitely would like to go again though, maybe the last hour of the last day of opening...then I would probably get to stand in front of a display without being pushed about.

• Like Like x 1
                • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                  +10,302
                  I guess you will hate the smart garden then S, it really appeals to me tv music lights etc all controlled by your mobile phone, it something I will be doing myself at some point.

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
                    Ratings:
                    +1,051
                    Rain. That's what you need to get a good view. Everyone rushes into the Marquee and only the brave, or stupid like me stay outside to take advantage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
                    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,830
                      So didn't anyone like any of the gardens!?:spinning:

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +6,953
                      image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg :smile: So ,I absolutely love the Chelsea Flower Show.
                      It's everything our gardens are not ,not a leaf,petal,or a piece of hard landscaping out of place.
                      It's absolutely obscene the vast amounts of money that are spent..........£250.000 is nothing for a large show garden, but I suppose the business provides work for loads of people through the year.
                      It's pure showbusiness........dreamland.
                      Just to see what could be done if one wanted and could afford it.
                      I have been a couple of times,but prefer now to watch it in HD in my lounge.
                      But in the real world (where I live) I doubt I could play football with my grandchildren in ANY of them.
                      Which leads to to my dilemma.......
                      To go to Chelsea on Saturday or Shiney's open day.
                      Seems like a no brainer to me.........:smile:

Above are some of my favourite gardens.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        Last edited: May 26, 2016
                      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +23,089
                        Not really, I'm another one of the grumps. It's spring so part of the criteria should be that you can only use seasonal plants. Spring blooming plants next to summer blooming plants just looks plain silly to me.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 2
                        • Disagree Disagree x 1
                        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                          Ratings:
                          +6,224
                          Haven't been to the Chelsea show, went to Cardiff last year though and it was a bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong it was a good experience, bought overpriced plants and I did like the show gardens but you could see money wasn't an object.

On the 3rd episode on iPlayer.. all I see is ££££ again.

I do like the architecture but it's just not for your normal terraced/semi house is it?

What the eff are those twirling trees.
                          And I don't like the 'concepts' of the small gardens, the slave one or Ebola one. Too creepy for me.

• Like Like x 1