Chilli plants - how long do they last?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Aug 28, 2015.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    My wife has a few indoor Chilli plants which she bought a few months ago ("Basket of Fire", "Cayennetta" and "Loco").

They've produced a few chilli fruits.

I'm wondering if, kept indoors, they will die off after a while, or will they continue to grow and produce fruit year after year?

Edit: Just realised that I should have posted this in the Edible Gardening area, sorry about that. Mods, feel free to move it if you like. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    In theory they should be fine with a bit of a trim at the end of this years growing season, then water a little & keep warm thru the winter & they will start to grow out again when theres enough light next year, at which point apply feed.

In practice I find that I cant keep indoor plants past 2 or 3 years, so save some seeds from the best pods of the year & start new plants from them.

And I have had no luck overwintering plants in the greenhouse - I think they need more heat that Im prepared to pay for :-)

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
  4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,247
    I always grow fresh from seed every year. I think a few on here overwinter their favourite Chilli plants.

5. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks.

Are they easy to grow from seed? for example, can they easily be grown indoors?

Any recommendations for mild chillis that are suitable please?

6. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,247
    They are not difficult from seed , but they do need a bit off heat. I start mine late January early Feb in the airing cupboard which gets over 30°c. In fact its best too keep them in doors until June at least, they do like heat and light.
    A favourite mildish Chilli , is Hungarian Hot wax , very big fleshy chillies. Very popular.
    Lots of choice and information on growing them if you Google. Plus lots of help on here if you need it.
    hungarian_hot_wax_pepper.jpg

7. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
  8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,904
    Overwintering is not difficult but you need to watch out for some things. We tend to overwinter a few of the plants so that they continue to fruit through the winter.

From Oct/Nov we keep them indoors in the lounge which we never let got cold. To continue fruiting they also need plenty of light and the south facing end of the lounge has French doors and glass side panels that give us 6'6" x 12' of glass. You don't need that amount but a light area is best.

We grow new ones from seed and also sow them Jan/Feb. We germinate them in a 'seed sprouter' - sold to produce edible sprouts such as bean sprouts and alfalfa. We do that in the kitchen and then pot on and keep them in the lounge until May. They are then put in a heated propagator in the greenhouse that is kept at 70F.

Successful overwintering can depend on the variety but I've found that the ones that produce the smaller chillies do much better.

The things to watch out for if keeping them indoors over winter (and during the year) are fungus gnats (those tiny little black things) and whitefly. You can avoid getting fungus gnats by only watering the plants from the bottom (keep them in plant saucers) and let the top of the soil remain dry. Around Christmas time the plants get a present of new compost by removing the top half inch and putting down some new. There's no need to disturb the plant.

With our over wintering ones we let them continue to fruit and ripen right through to mid-December and then give them a prune and reduce the watering so that they get a rest.

As chillies are usually so easy to grow from seed it's not really necessary to bother overwintering except for fun. :blue thumb: To overwinter them they only need to be above 55F but they're unlikely to continue fruiting unless they're above 60F at night and 65F during the day.

I can't recommend ones that are not hot as I only grow hot and extremely hot ones. :noidea:

Good luck. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Some great advice there, thank you very much. :)