1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chillies 2021

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
    Ratings:
    +637
    Hello Chili lovers,
    I've just been harvesting the Chili plants and thought I would put some pictures onto the forum. The bowls are full of mixed varieties, but since picking, they have been washed and sorted. I have frozen the useful pods (the ones I cook with) but I don't have space in my freezer for the remaining Superhots, and what would I make with them anyway. I already made Weapons Grade Sauce.

Anyway here are the photos.....
    20211019_143207.jpg

20211019_143156.jpg

20211019_143146.jpg

Best Regards

Ademission

• Like Like x 7
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,569
        This year I grew from seed:
        Kashmiri- very variable plants, late to ripen, first to suffer from mould, will not grow here again.
        Spaghetti - nice looking peppers but middling flavour. Will not grow again

And overwintered, jalapeno early, biquinho, alleppo, aci sivri.

Decided not to overwinter any this year, as I want to try other ones next year. I have already bought some locoto seeds and have serano, ring of fire and chilaca seeds. Might grow aji limon again, I had great success with that a few years ago. And also another jal of some sort.

• Like Like x 4
        • Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
          Ratings:
          +637
          Hello @Hanglow,

I see from your profile that you are new on GC. It's good to know that you are also interested in Chilis. Do you grow them in a greenhouse or outside? Without being specific, where in the UK are you living (what area)?

My Chilis are just coming to an end for this season. I have quite a few to harvest still but then it will be time to rip out the plants and clean out the greenhouse. After that, I have to move one of the built in shelves and add the electrics ready for next year's hydroponics.

I notice that the Chilis that you have grown this year are ones I am not so familiar with which is very interesting. I'm just about to make a list of seeds I'll need to buy for next season. In general, next year's Chilis will be aimed at culinary types. I don't intend to grow any Superhots and I will grow less of them mainly in smaller pots to avoid an overgrown greenhouse like this year.

Enough for now.

Ademission

• Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,569
          Hi ademission, I'm in Glasgow, I have an allotment with a small greenhouse and a southfacing garden with a sun room and patio.

I usually have a few plants in the border soil of the greenhouse and a couple in pots there, plus potted chillis at home. Up to about 20 in total. Because the summer was so good here this year (makes a change ) my potted chilllis at home stayed outside from about end of June. Normally I'd still be picking some at home as I would have brought them inside two months ago, but I made the decision to start afresh next year, so they stayed outside untill I took a final harvest.

Unfortunately the allotment has a stand of pine trees to the south, so by the end of september there is no direct sunlight, so they always get pulled early, or cut back and potted up for overwintering inside my house. Winter salads do ok in there though.

I'd recommend the biquinho, great flavour and a bit of heat. I think they are sold now pickled in some supermarkets. They look like like tear drops.

Alleppos are ok, similar to espelette which I grew for a few years. Mainly dry them and grind, their skins are tough otherwise.

• Like Like x 3
          • john mackay

john mackay Gardener

Ratings:
            +117
            Hi hanglow . where abouts in Glasgow are you as i'm unfortunately from the same unfair city as you . I'm in the north of the city and have a south / south west facing garden . I started last year cutting a few plants back and bringing them into the house at the end of the season (much to my wifes annoyance).The plants did put on a lot of growth but seemed to take a while longer than i thought they would to fruit.But i did get some chillies ,so have already done the same for this /next year but will start to grow seedlings in jan/feb 22 in the utillity room (the wife hates that as well ):gaah::yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
            • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
              Ratings:
              +602
              Very interested to know which chilli types grow to 6 feet... I have had limited success with chillis in the UK (lived in central Africa years ago and they grew like crazy) - but this is because I keep getting the watering wrong. Next year...

• Like Like x 1
              • Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
                Ratings:
                +637
                Hello @JimmyB,

This year was the first with my new larger greenhouse. Most of my chilis were planted in 18litre pots with some of the ornamentals in 10/11 litre pots. I planted many Superhots but some that were shall we say more traditional (Cayenne, Birds Eye......). I should also explain that all were started early in a heated tent hydroponically and so got a good start. All were planted in good quality potting compost later as they were potted up.
                Now to answer your question. The largest plant was Piri Piri at approx 6ft. Most of my other superhots were slightly smaller (not much) at 5ft to 6ft including 7 Pot Primo, Trinidad Butch T Scorpion, Jay Peach, Carolina Reaper and a few others. The Cayennes, Birds Eyes were 4 to 5ft. Obviously the ornamentals like Basket of Fire, Medusa, Black Pearl were much smaller.

I live in North Oxfordshire if this is relevant but I guess the growth was due to large pots and frequent feeding (once every other watering with Tomorite).

Hope this helps.

Ademission.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,193
                Thread Status:
                Not open for further replies.