1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese Lanterns

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dillydo, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Dillydo

Dillydo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all you clever clogs! I have just bought a "Chinese Lantern" plant,which I been searching for for ages. I know its roots need to be checked if its in the garden,so I have planted mine in a big pot. Once it has borne its "Lanterns" does it have to be pruned back,or does it just die down with the frosts.Does it need any special fertiliser. Thanks :confused:

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    mine grows like weed, I just forget about it. I just harvest the pretty lanterns and let the frost and weather do the rest. I have never fed it, but we do live on very rich soil that gets a good manuring.

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ah! There are two 'Chinese Lanterns' :D

Crinodendron hookerianum. Chinese Lantern Tree RHS: Plant of the Month - May

Physalis alkekengi is the more common garden Chinese Lantern which seeds freely and will also throw up suckers Wikipedia Generally they are pretty vigerous and don't need much care apart from hacking back to keep them under control. They do like full sun and warm to hot conditions and require a fair bit of moisture so if growing in a container try not to let them dry out.

4. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Frogesque I've made a note of the name. I've been meaning to grow some from seed for years and now we have room I think I'll have a go. I assume that it's the Physali alkekengi that I should be looking for?