1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay soil/improving drainage

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by michaelsf90, Mar 2, 2022.

1. michaelsf90

michaelsf90 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    This is just a quick one. It's clay soil in our garden and the area we live. The garden doesn't waterlog but it gets quite muddy in winter. Especially with the dog going on the grass etc. I've read to help with the drainage to pitchfork the grass every 4 or 6 inch and to move the fork backwards and forwards and sideways and fill with sharp sand. Will this help? If it will il start now and look at seeding the grass at the end of the month/start of April

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    It might help but you can get a proper tool for the job which actually removes a core of soil, this means you are not actually compacting the soil in the same way you do with a fork.

Would probably be something to think about using for a couple of years in spring or autumn.

Hollow tine lawn aerator

• Like Like x 2
    • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
      Ratings:
      +774
      When dealing with soil with a high content of clay I also think it is worth timing of any work you want to do on the area to just take place when it has a couple of days to dry out first. Working on it when it is wet will lead to compression of the soil into impermeable layers and making the drainage worse. Deep rooting plants in the garden may also help the soil structure and improve drainage.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • michaelsf90

michaelsf90 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Would that in the picture do the job? I was going to say what's the difference but as you said it pulls the soil out. Do I do it every say six inch? Is filling the holes with sharp sand ok as well? I know I need to do it for a good few years before probably seeing some real results. I was thinking now at start of spring and in autumn/before winter to do this

Attached Files:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,048
        Yes that's the thing, you brush off the cores of soil and then brush in sharp sand, as long as its sharp sand and not building/ soft sand you can get it from builders merchants.

It probably wont make an immediate difference but by next winter you could be seeing results.
        Grass will always be on the muddy side with dogs running around on it in winter.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
          Ratings:
          +6,780
          A top-dressing with horticultural Gypsum is also supposed to help. I used it on a clay spoil heap and it has done a good job (over the winter) of breaking it down.

• Tomcat

Tomcat Gardener

Cultivating a sense of humus
          Ratings:
          +502
          It’s a good idea to water your lawn thoroughly once you have applied Gypsum as it works by being absorbed into the soil , not on the grass surface. ( Or you could apply it after aerating and it will travel down the aeration holes ) .

• Informative Informative x 1