Cleaning Limestone Paving

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Howard Stone, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    At the moment I just use a brush with water and maybe some washing up liquid, but there is an increasing presence of lichen which I don’t really like.

Has anyone any tricks or suggestions? Has anyone tried Wet and Forget?

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi @Howard Stone if I remember rightly one or two on here have used and recommend wet & forget.

3. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    The active ingredient in many of the 'Wet and Forget' type products is Benzalkonium Chloride. Look for a product called BAC50 - which as it's name suggests is 50% water and 50% Benzalkonium Chloride. Dilute the BAC50 200ml to 5 litres of water - and you have the same strength 'Wet and Forget' alike. 5 litres of BAC50 is around £30 - and you can make the equivalent of 125 litres of 'Wet and Forget' alike for that £30.

I have a constantly damp retaining wall - and didn't want to pay any more for those commonly available products - such as Patio Power, Patio Magic, Wet and Forget etc - as I have to use it on a regular basis.