1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clearing an overgrown garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pipine, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Pipine

Pipine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello :)

My boyfriend and I are currently renovating a ramshackled old house which won't be ready to move into til this time next year - the garden is in a similarly neglected state - its about 330sq m of jungle at the moment! Totally over grown with bracken, brambles and bindweed... almost as tall as me in places!

I thought I'd need a bit of a headstart with the garden if I want to do anything useful with it in a years time - we plan to grow our own organic fruit and veg and have a herb garden etc - try to make all the plants useful in some way.

So how do I tackle the jungle? I read somewhere that bracken is carcinogenic and I already know how hard brambles are to get rid of so I'm looking for some good advice!

I would rather not use chemicals but if the alternative is much much harder work I will give in and start my organic regime once everything is under control!

2. Deserter

Deserter Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon the key is decent tools. Go to one of the major chains and get some tree loppers and new shears - if you borrow from someone else then get them sharpened, but if you can afford then brand new is always better I reckon. Blunt tools will triple the workload and the time. And decent gloves are a must as well, I think the leather or suede ones? The cheaper ones are a waste of time. Digging stuff out is real hard work to which there is next to no alternative - make sure the ground is wet first, you have had a huge breakfast and there is someone on hand to supply drinks. And don't arrange to go out afterwards, you'll just want to lie down! One final thing - don't get too ambitious, we moved into our house 2 years ago and are still clearing the garden, which I don't expect to complete for another couple of years at least. I would start by clearing enough to make at least part usable and then clear sections gradually, or it could be five years time before you actually start growing anything, by which time you'll be sick of the sight of it!
    There you are, that was the first post I've ever made on here that was an attempt to help someone else rather than a plea for help myself. Hope it was worthwhile!

3. Pipine

Pipine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Deserter. Thats definitely worthwhile! I'll get myself kitted out and get cracking!

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Ah I remember it well 30 odd years ago same situation, it is hard work but wait till you taste your first potatoes or outdoor toms it will be wonderful

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,057
    Bit younger then, Hans?

6. Sue K

Sue K Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pipine,

I am also restoring a neglected and overgrown garden. Thick blanket mulches are the answer if you have areas where you can cut the weeds down and then completely cover the soil and leave it for a year or so. Old carpet, flattened cardboard boxes, thick wodges of newspaper - anything that will keep the light out but let the rain through. This will starve the weeds (while preventing any more from taking root) and in a year or so when you take the mulching blankets up they will be dead.

It sounds long-winded I know, but I use this method on the out-of-the-way places because you can't do everything at once, and it gives you time to tackle the top priorities without worrying about the weeds in those areas getting even worse. I usually cover the various blanketing mulches with grass clippings to give a uniform and slightly more attractive appearance.

Sue

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would agree Sue - cut it down, exclude the light and either a thick mulch or membrane - its either that or scything the lot down and roudup to every leaf that grows - which also works but takes a tad longer.

Just don't remover the mulch/membrane for at least 10 years :D .

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I agree with deserter. I'd use heavy duty strimmer and loppers to clear small areas. Shred the results and use as mulch after getting out roots of brambles. Then in spring plant potatoes and start on another bit! Digging is the best solution, but working on small areas depending on your fitness will mean you will get useable areas more quickly.