1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis armandii

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Does anyone have any experience of growing Clematis armandii in a pot? I have a courtyard with a rather bare wall with a hard standing right up to the wall. I want to grow something evergreen and largish against the wall. So a large pot is the only option. I thought of this clematis or maybe people have other suggestions.

2. Witchazel

Witchazel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Funny how timing works out- I literally just came in from potting up one I rooted over the winter on the window sill. It's my first one so I can't give you much of an opinion on how it would look on your wall except to say it fits the bill- evergreen and climbing. I know it uses tendrils to climb so you may need to figure out a way to give it some holds to climb on up that wall but otherwise it seems to be suited. I got mine from a neighbor who grows it on his mailbox and he said he has to trim it back a couple of times a year to keep it in check. All I know is I stopped my car one day when I saw the huge white blooms and knew I had to have it. The only suggestion I would make it try to keep the roots cool, which isn't always easy in a pot and start by potting it up in a huge pot so you don't have to repot when it gets bigger. It might look a little odd for a year or so but the extra room should help it grow even faster.

• Like Like x 1
    • ThePlantedGarden

ThePlantedGarden Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Redwing, Clematis armandii is a fairly big grower, however it would be fine in a tub as long as it is large enough. I would suggest something at least 24" across. Been a group 1 type means it doesn't need a prune, but as it is in a container it will need keeping in check or it will outgrow the pot. Group 1 Clematis must be pruned as soon as they finish flowering as they flower on the last seasons growth. For an Armandii this would be around late May, this will allow enough time for the plant to put out enough growth to provide a good display the following year. Don't forget to feed with a balanced fert, very important when container gardening or let it get too dry. I would recommend John Innes no. 3

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      the obvious answer would be to ask our member Armandii...:redface: