1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis growing conditions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cucumber, Mar 28, 2021.

1. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi.

Does Clematis montana need deep soil to thrive? I had one in a raised brick bed but it never thrived.

Thanks

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    They are not normally a plant to be grown in a pot / raised bed ( depends on how big ) they get far to large the montana species . They're plenty of other varieties to look at , the viticella are the best in my opinion .

Which way is the raised bed facing ? south ? if it is that maybe the problem clematis like a cool root run the raised bed with being brick will heat up faster and your in london warm climate. Has any of the neighbours got a Montana ?

I must say I've had problems get some clematis species to establish . I thought I'd lost my little montana I was going to replace it but it holding on just

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      South facing bed. No neighbours that I can see.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,509
      Yes the south facing bed maybe why they aren't establishing , they say with clematis feet in the shade head in the sun ( A lot of varieties will grow in shade ) . Add on the brick bed retaining heat and extra watering required due to it being a raised bed .