1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis Montana

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Glynne Williams, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +823
    Probably the best plant in the garden! Planted 30 years ago. Extremely rampant and floriferous since. Now apparently DEAD! Main stem 4-5" diam and rest 10-15' across, like a huge Beatles haircut! The 'gardener' now thinks she pruned it too far down, though I've always believed Montana sprouts from old wood?? Ground OK as climbing hydrangea now coming into its own, and a rose Gertrude Jekyll (my favourite!) also enjoying her freedom!
    Seems to me ive got to cut and chip the whole 30 year top and hope for the beast, and enjoy/ encourage the other two !!!!! However seems a waste of 30 year's growth??

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    @Glynne Williams I would give it until mid summer before chipping it. I have had a C redheriana killed off completely above ground (spring 2018) the following spring I tidied up the last of the main stem and found a shoot emerging from below ground, which has gradually got stronger and may flower this autumn.
    A couple of others soon after planting have been erased by slugs to reappear the following spring.
    If it does reshoot it will be quite sometime before it looks anything like its old self.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,161
      They often shoot from below the ground so I'd give it a while yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
        +823
        Cheers! Both of you! My real fear is its age. Had many bought plants either attacked by nature or damaged by humanity and either recovered eventually or simply never reappeared! Most times it was my clay soil. This Montana is a historical GIANT! Main stem so thick, and secondary branches just that, - more than kindling!! So sudden as to imagine some horticultural skulldugary! But the other two plants sharing the soil really robust. You can almost hear them cheering their own growth whilst being 'sorry' for Montana's demise!! I will take your advice!!

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
        +823
        Have read and carried out your 'wait-n-see' advice. NO new growth yet but the Rose and Climbing Hydrangea really 'taking advantage' of the area and growing away! Have informed the 'gardener' that she must leave well alone and NOT prune any more. She's convinced that perhaps clematis just have a particular 'life' and this Montana has reached it! Bit anthropomorphic perhaps?

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
        +823
        Just found a previous thread dealing with a 20 year old Montana which appeared to be dying in July so different to mine which appears to be 'death' in Winter! Drying out is a possibility but perhaps at this time of year is less likely and of course the other two plants are romping away though different strokes etc.?