1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis Problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Shambles, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Shambles

Shambles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hoping someone can help with this,about 6 weeks ago I purchased a Princess
    Diana clematis from our local nurseries, the bottom leaves have now gone black up
    to about 6ins from the top of the soil,after that for another 6ins the leaves are green.
    Now before I planted the PD clematis there, I planted a honeysuckle America Beauty there
    and it died after the leaves went black,anyone got any idea what the problem could be.

James

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    James, any chance of a pic or two?

3. Shambles

Ratings:
    +7
    Can you tell me how to upload photos onto this forum please

4. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I use tinypics. They automatically reduce the image for threads. All you have to do then is copy and paste.

5. Shambles

Ratings:
    +7
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Don't know if this is going to work

Attached Files:

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Sorry Shambles but we need more than a pic of 2 leaves. We need to see the plant.

7. Shambles

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there. You did not say anything about the plant or the leaves,you just said just a pic or two, I was told all clematis give there disease problems by the leaves,I would say the plant is now about 2ft high,the top 12ins is green and the bottom almost black.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  8. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    Hello James, Welcome to GC.
    The bottom leaves of clematis do die off sometimes, due to drought or poor soil conditions, they're not the easiest plants to please!
    If you could give us some idea of the soil that you have, whether it's sandy or clay, and whether the plant is in full sun or shade, or a mix, that would be a big help.
    One of the drawbacks with garden centre plants is that they are grown in peat or a peat substitute, which dries out quickly in summer, before the plant's roots have had a chance to get out into the proper soil to find moisture. It's a particular problem if the surrounding soil is clay...Clematis don't like clay, IME.
    As the top of the plant is still alive, I'd water very slowly and carefully around the plant (not directly onto the stems), to make sure that you soak the rootball. If you have the time to do this every three or four days, or even more frequently if the weather is hot and sunny, until the plant is growing strongly, then nature will take over in the autumn and do the watering for you!
    Placing a slab or large stone to shade the roots helps too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Shambles

Ratings:
      +7
      That's what I call a good reply to the question,we live in a bungalow built in 1987,the builder was bit naughty in some respects, as he cleared the site for building he buried the rubbish in the ground,also there was an old fashioned service garage somewhere near my plot,but I don't know exactly where,I don't think the soil is clayed,I have built a pergola this summer,my manager wanted a honeysuckle and a clematis to grow up it,also she wanted a grapevine for good luck,now in this area is another clematis as growed ( Montana )and it's been there for the last five years,it's about 8ft from where the problem clematis one is and that is fine,my local nursery where I bought it from told me it could be over watering,it's in a half shade and half sun up the pergola,when I planted it about 4 weeks ago I covered the top of the soil with decorative pebbles,it's a shame really as the flowers from this princess Diana are so beautiful like a wine red

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,369
        Hi James, Yes it's a beautiful clematis and quite drought tolerant once the roots are established.
        Well, it's a job to know what to suggest! Personally, if it continues to blacken from the bottom, I'd scrape off the pebbles, dig it up carefully, replace the soil with about a metre cube of decent topsoil or John Innes soil-based compost and replant into that. That is assuming that the roots are healthy and still attached to the stems! Once you see what state they're in, perhaps you could take another photo and we'll try to identify whether the problem is over or under-watering.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,608
          This rings some alarm bells James. Knowing that you've lost a Honeysuckle in the same area I'm wondering if you have oil leaching into your soil from the garage. I had a similar problem many years ago with leaves turning black, that was due to my domestic oil tank leaking.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Shambles

Ratings:
            +7
            Many thanks to everyone for their inputs,I am keeping my eye on this particular plant (PD)especially with how much water it is receiving,I have rid of all the black & curly leaves
            from the stems,and keeping fingers crossed there seems to be a slight new growth developing near the bottom of the plant

• Like Like x 1
            • Kimberley

Kimberley Gardener

Telephonist and a Dance Teacher
              Ratings:
              +141
              I always have a good show from my clements I have 3 pot grown ones. It took a while for me to get to grips with them. I put large pebbles to protect the base of the plant but they do like a good drink. Mine started to flower the end if March and are still flower know.