1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost Bin infested with ants

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by jazzy, Aug 13, 2022.

1. jazzy

jazzy Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Just started composting and I noticed that my compost bin is full of ants. Is this good or bad?

2. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,448
    Personally I would only be bothered if the ants were invading places I didn't want them to be. Compost bins are full of all sorts of creatures, they're like an entire eco system all of their own. I also find ants fascinating to watch at times. If you disturb an ant's nest, you'll see them all immediately hurry to work. Some will come out to see what it is that's just disturbed their nest. They're full of fight but luckily they're not that bright and they have poor vision, relying mostly on scent for their senses, so as long as you don't start wafting cortisol and adrenaline at them they won't realise it was you. Meanwhile the rest of them pick up any exposed eggs and carry them back under cover.

I'd leave them be. I'm not aware of any pathogens they carry. They'll just spend their time cutting up bits of dead leaves in your compost bin to line their nest, which helps the composting process, and they'll catch the odd bug for dinner. That's about it I think.

3. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,275
    I could be wrong but Ants in the Compost Bin means it's too dry, chuck some water in there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,373
      Agree with @john558 , sounds way too dry.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,373