1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost warning : ( Westland peat free

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by wozwoz, Aug 1, 2011.

1. wozwoz

wozwoz Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have been a huge fan of Westland advanced compost and still am but a year or two ago 'Which' magazine did a comparison of a variety of composts and Westland advanced just pipped BNQ multi purpose to the crown . I'm sure its pure coincidence but it was about then that BNQ dropped westland advanced. This year I bought westland peat free by mistake from them and it is ABOMINABLE !!! It is marketted as a multipurpose but is very coarse . I started off a variety of seeds in it and they duly germinated but they sat with their seed leaves (cotyledons) for about three weeks - presumably struggling to make roots .
    I grew two 4 year old amorphophallus , one in BNQ multipurpose and one in westland peat free - the difference is striking and says it all - one is large , lush and green ,the westland one is jaundiced and weedy in comparison ( sorry , still haven't got the hang of posting photos !) .
    Sorry Westland , your 'advanced' still rocks !!!! : )

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Woz Woz,, there's a few Threads on the Forum dealing with the subject of Peat free composts versus Peat added Compost which you might find interesting, if you haven't already read them:D:thumbsup:

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    so .... what is thew best compost and what is the best manure?

I'm still trying to get my head around peat and peat free?

I have recently been buying farmyard manure and John Innes #3 and mixingthese 2 (30%/30%) with the top layer of topsoil

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I bought some peat free b&q stuff and it was cr*p!!! I still have most of a huge bag left. Might be ok to use as a mulch but that's about it!

5. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Wickes compst for me...all the way and at 4 x 75lt bags for £13 you can't go wrong :D :thumb:

Multi-Purpose Compost - Gardens - Wickes

6. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I got some of that based on recommendation from folks on here and I do think it's very good. Plus the bags aren't as large as the 125 ltr and even I can shift them!!

7. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I use B&Q compost the peat based one 3 for £10 good results alround ..
    I did get a couple of bags of the Westland peat free in the spring and had disasterous results...Never been a fan of peat free though ..

Dave