1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordyline roots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Afternoon

We have three Cordylines planted within six feet of the front of the house. Bad planting I know, but they were put in several years ago when I knew less about gardening than I do now! However in that time they have thrived and grown (sheltered, east facing location), so that now they are approaching six foot tall.

I wouldn't mind, especially as I know they will lose the lower fronds as they get taller, so blocking light won't be too much of an issue, but what about roots and causing damage to the house and foundations?

I need a definite answer to this, as now would be the time to remove them if they will cause a problem later on.

Also...how easy are they to transplant? I'm assuming difficult. I know they sell quite cheap now, but these are good specimens and a lot of people would be happy to have them this healthy, especially after them surviving two harsh winters.

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    I'm not an expert but, as far as I'm aware, I don't think Cordyline roots cause problems to foundations.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,044
    Not 100% sure but I always get the feeling that monocots are not likely to cause problems with building foundations, so my guess is they will be OK.

I've had a cordy growing within 15ft of the house since the 80s, its reached the height of the roof and more on two stems, without any problems.

I've heard that you can move them, but never tried even with a small plant, I think they have a tap root.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Cheers guys. Anyone else want to contribute or advise?
    Tap root Pete? Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound very optomistic as far as moving them is concerned.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,044
    No, my own thoughts are, dont bother, but I have heard it can be done.

I've also heard stem sections can be used as cuttings, but its never worked for me even when aerial roots are present.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    From further reading on other sites (including one in New Zealand!) it appears they are not known as 'drain damagers' as the root goes straight down (like you said Pete) and is almost a continuation of the trunk, just underground. Someone dug one up that was 12 foot high and it only had a 3 foot diameter of a root ball, consisting of fine roots.

So, I just have to decide if we want to keep them of not now!

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sell it on eBay? "Successful bidder to remove the plant and transplant their own risk" :hehe:

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    The thought has crossed my mind!

9. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    They are difficult to move successfully
    The root goes straight down (to New Zealand I think :))

10. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    You can transplant them fairly easily (i.e they're tough as old boots) but the prep must be sound. I moved one from the front of my house which was about 7 feet tall (trunk). I dug a transplanting ring a foot in width and 3 feet down then did the final underneath slice with an old saw. Even with all the care we took to move it I lost about 8 inches of the tip of the tap root but it didn't seem to mind. Didn't take a huge amount of time to acclimatise to it's new home and only showed minor signs of stress, once re-established new leaf growth was just as expected.

It was moved from a spot about 4 feet from the front wall of my house, even if it had grown to 30 feet I wouldn't have worried about the roots. There's really not much to them, I think it's because the height decieves us into thinking there must be a significant root system underground. There's not much biomass in even the larger specimens when you really look at them. e.g If you were to shred a 9 foot Cordyline I doubt the resultant pulp would fill an average size sink.

11. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Generally moving Cordylines is not very sucessful unless they are very small. They usually hate root disturbance, and by severing the tap root often will not anchor themselves properly into the ground in the new home. I have known several people over the years move them, all experianced gardeners and so far they I cant think of any where its been a long term success.

I'd be interested to know when you moved yours Axl, has it now been in its new home for several years?

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks all. I'm going to leave them where they are - I have also been informed they will eventually block the satellite signal and then they'll have to be pruned! But good to hear their roots are not an issue. Considering a lot of them took a battering over the last two winters, these ones seem as tough as old boots and it would be a shame to lose them.

13. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    It was a fair few years ago and it stayed where it was for approximately four years if I recall. I needed the space for another greenhouse and sadly the Cordyline was slap bang in the middle of the perfect spot with nowhere else for it to be moved to :dh:

14. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    Hi Aaron,
    I am very curious to know....how are your Cordylines looking now, after the long cold spell we had just after your last entry on this thread?