1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Council Tax on "green" home improvements

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hyla arborea, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It's been reported that some local councils are considering increasing the council tax on properties with "green" improvements such as solar panels and wind turbines - and therefore, probably, rainwater collection systems as well. Since this may affect gardeners trying to be "eco-friendly", I thought I'd bring this petition to your notice in case anyone feels they'd like to sign it:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Greenhousetax/

[ 08. March 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Hyla arborea ]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    This seems too mental to be true surely ?

3. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly, BM, I don't think so. The email I got from my daughter about this originally came from the Centre for Alternative Technology in mid-Wales, so there is genuine concern, I think. And I'd heard the story before from other sources. I agree, though - it sems utterly loopy for the government to encourage us to reduce emissions and local authorities to penalise us for doing so.

Our local authority here in the Lot, in France, regularly sends out nagging newsletters telling us what we should be doing! Loud applause for that!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Mental, we already pay �£27 a week !

5. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,885
    Absolutely Crazy ,whats next? :confused:

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    That's mad!! They should be reducing council Tax for greener homes to encourage us, not penalising us by putting it up! :mad:

7. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    my sister who lives in south lanarkshire
    received a letter this morning telling her that every household that has a person of pension age has to receive a rebate of �£50-00 before the end of april,council tax.all right for some

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I have heard about someone on another forum having the local council round to evaluate their property to change the property banding.

Things they also make note of are 'how many low consumption bulbs are used (or not)'

This government is getting ridiculous !!!!!

9. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Sorry, but lol at the stupidity of it all! and I agree it's utterly ridiculous.

[​IMG]

p.s. if there are TWO pensioners in the house do we get 2x �£50 rebate :D

10. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no only one get it we are also getting 10 low consumption bulbs

11. andyman

andyman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I collect rainwater from my shed roof into two water butts. These are situated at the end of my back garden and nobody would know that they are there unless I pointed them out. I cannot see how the council would be able to charge for something that they don't know about.

12. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You have got to be kidding!!!!! :eek: :eek: �£80 a month I pay and I'm the only adult living here......I know what our Council should do, and I've been saying it for years....Holiday Homes should pay triple council tax...if you can afford to buy a house and only spend 3 weeks of the year there then you can afford to pay 3x more Council Tax than the folks who are stuck here.
    Bl**dy fools....leave us Gardeners alone :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    don't get me started on council tax, the whole damned thing is so unfair, but a green tax sounds like a death with from this gevernment so I doubt it will really happen.