1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating winter interest.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Sep 7, 2017.

1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,593
    I call it a Calicarpia. I think it is also the beauty bush. But proud I can remember the "real" name of it and spell it. anyway, have 3 of them. the one Mother. took stems from it and made two babies from it. put in two other types of sun exposure . One is down at the top of a slope in my valley garden area. the other tucked into a more shaded area. all are doing well. I pruned the mom this spring, lolloped off some crazy limbs. Its doing wonderful, full of berries. Even husband remarked how much nicer it looks now. In the late spring it shows small light lavender flowers on the limbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      "A rose, by any other name, still smells as sweet" ;) :blue thumb:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        For winter interest erica carnea and darleyensis are hard to beat.
        Probably not as popular as they once were they are wonderful for the winter scene. They flower from early winter to mid spring in flowers of white, pink and red. Many have superb coloured foliage....Anne Sparkes has reddish orange foliage, Foxhollow has yellow foliage with red tips on new growth. Nice as individual specimens or, as I have here as groups.
        Also some of the dwarf cryptomerias like Globosa Nana and Vilmoriniana are excellent in winter and all year round
        Winter can be just as colourful as summer :). Throw in the hellebores, witch hazels, and some of the daphnes as well as snowdrops for loads of colour :)

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        That is definitely true. Unfortunately if you need to buy one it would help if you called it by its correct name. :rasp:

:snorky:

G.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Always a great believer in using botanical names for plants.....correct use will give you the exact plant wanted. For example, daphne aureomarginata .......the name tells us it is a scented plant with golden margins to the leaves.:)
        Buy a berberis atropurpurea and you end up with a big shrub; however, add nana and you end up with a dwarf mounded plant. :)
        Pretty important :rasp:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Oh, undoubtedly helpful, yet, not essential ... I've had great success in describing plants and coming away with just the thing I was hoping for :heehee:

"May I help you?"
          "Erm ... :think3: ... I hope so :dunno: I'm looking for something for my small garden"
          "Anything in particular?"
          "An evergreen; one which stays green all year; not bothered about flowers; must be hardy and easily maintained." :)
          "What is your soil type?"
          :scratch: "Brown"
          :ideaIPB: "I have *just* the thing ... "

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,593
            there is another shrub been wanting for years and years, the Carolina Sweet Shrub. its hard woody flowers will certainly brave the soft white snow making it a nice addition. just got to get around to getting it, and find the right place for it.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Ratings:
              +10,593
            • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,890
              To keep the interest going on our front yard we've just added 3 Clematis.......... Winter Beauty, Wisley Cream and Freckles. All scented. Already got a load of bulbs out there together with a couple of Pieris, Choisyas and a Sarcocca ( also Winter flowering and scented ).

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              That's a beauty :thumbsup:
              Freckles is one on my wish list, it's gorgeous and would look wonderful growing up the house from the basement. In my case, it would need to go in a pot though (which I already have, it's a tall slender pot - 54lt capacity) but I'm struggling to find a rose partner it :think3: One day; one day! :heehee: I have scented daffodils in the front bed, also a sarcocca but that is still young and yet to flower; can't wait until it does!
              Looking forward to seeing your Spring photographs, I bet it will look stunning :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Ratings:
                +10,593
                let us not forget the Witchhazel. actually am pondering one. have a new area I can invent. LOL. like I need to invent new areas. but it would have to be zone hardy, and fragrant. so we shall see.

• Like Like x 2
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  I referred to witch hazels earlier......wonderful scent from my Mollis Pallida. A scent that also carries on the air from fascinating spider flowers. Although an old variety I think it is the best.....many hamamelis varieties lack scent but this is excellent :)
                  Many winter flowering plants often flower for far longer and with a stronger scent too than those that flower in spring and summer:)

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,414
                  I watched this today.

I was thinking I could put something like this in the space in front of the cat cage. There is a acuba in a pot there for now.

The write up says it likes moisture. The video says its drought toletant. Possible drawbacks would be

In the summer it will be in full sun (not so much in winter)

It will not be sheltered from the wind.

I thought if I grew one here and one by the shed, they would complement each other. By the shed, the yellow flowers on the mahonia giving way to the yellow flowers on the winter jasmine might be nice.

The problem might be the spread. If it can spread 4/5 ft then there might not be room left for my hellebores and berganias.

G.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Ratings:
                  +10,593
                  Had one of those---Mahonia. not a fan.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Gary, surprise, surprise, I grow Soft Caress. Possibly one of the first to do so :)

Right, in practice I find Soft Caress is fine in the sun, needs good soil and reasonable protection from strongest and coldest winds.

Good points......nice looking tactile, evergreen; unlike other mahonias it has no sharp foliage. Pleasing yellow flowers...here they emerge around November. Slow growing and compact. Effective contrast to other perennials esp in summer when evergreen foliage tempers flower colours.

Not so good.....not long flowering. Also may not cope with very cold temperatures or icy conditions. Down here we dont get anything too cold so cannot definitely say how tender it could be up country.

For the sake of accuracy, Caress is quite different from any other mahonias...the only similarity is in the flowers.

You could grow it in a container too but I wouldnt buy 2 to make a sort of comtrived balanced planting Gary.

I also grow M. Charity and it is now flowering. A delightful shrub 10' tall here despite annual pruning with lovely sculpted foliage. It will flower up to Christmas now, a valuable addition to the winter garden :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017