1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas for using/ getting rid of topsoil?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, May 27, 2018.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,636
    So the Great Wall keeps growing. :snorky: Admittedly, I should have planned this better as we live in a suburb and there is no way I could build a raised bed or a hill, and the brown bin is not supposed to take too much soil.

skeittilauta.JPG

Any ideas what I should do with the turf and rubbly clay clumps? We have no room for composting the stuff.

Just saw an ad in Gumtree where someone was offering their Wall for free, "collection only" :biggrin: Clever, but I doubt there are many takers...

Any nice ideas? Perhaps I could pot the turfy bits up and sell as "Office lawn" organic desk decorations £29 each? Or just dig a big hole and put everything there? ;)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Bury it.:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      Make a raised rockery, one i made recently.
      DSC_0934.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        Make room for a compost bin or area. Everyone who has a garden, however small should endeavour to make space for composting.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Seriously Selleri, yes bury the turves. Its what I do here......dig a hole 20/30 cm deep and put turves in grass side facing down. It makes excellent soil conditioning material.

The rubbly clay lumps? Can you take it to the recycling centre?

( we are moving back a wall in my niece's new build and, before we started, we advertised good top soil for free. It is good soil too. Anyway, folks wanted it and 30 bags have already been collected thus removing rubbish and creating space as we work :) )

• Like Like x 2
          • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +7,636
            Now that's really good looking bed Martin, I might be able to create a small version. Succulent and alpine plants are so very exiting :) Thanks!

Actually, we have a compost but it's half full and the predicted volume of the Great Wall is about 4x the size of the bin... :redface:

Well, the only place where I can dig a hole to bury the turf grass side down is the lawn, which sort of defies the purpose. :snorky: Plus, I'd have to find a place in the remaining lawn where I could bury the turf lifted when I was burying the turf number 1... Then again, it might entertain the neighbours. :ideaIPB:

The recycling centre is probably the best option, but the bus driver might have something to say if I try to get more than a shoppingbagful in at a time.

I might have to fork in some cash and get the load collected by the council skip guys. I hate to pay for things like this!!! [​IMG]

Thanks everyone, please keep the suggestions coming. A combination might just sort the thing out I hope. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
              +10,302
              I would be lost without a compost area recently i created a space for one, its only about 6x4ft i still need to put a front on it.
              WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Put it in parcels, tape prepaid junk mail envelopes to it and hand it in at the post office :catapult:

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Oh, marker pen out any codes on them that might identify you, as I had a bloke from the council ask me why I sent him a cabbage leaf once :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,636
                  Perfect! In your face "10K credit interest free for first 12 seconds"! :hapydancsmil:

The problem has now partially started to sort itself out. The Wall is getting smaller as we carry the stuff indoors on our shoes. It's amazing how much soil a humble bedroom carpet can accommodate! :th scifD36:

• Funny Funny x 1