cumquats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarraceniac, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    A neighbour of mine just gave me a small cumquat. I have an orange and a lemon but this cumquat is not very well. It came from Wilko's (so she tells me) and she bought it for a present for her 84 year old mother who wasn't too keen on it. It has green leaves and even some green fruit on so I am sure it is still viable but I need some advice if it is to stay alive. Do I just transplant it? Do i feed it? If so do I use 10.10.10, tomato food or a cheese sandwich? If transplanting what compost? Help please.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,660
    Treat it as you would any citrus John.
    Think its supposed to be slightly hardier than most.
    Dont think I would use Tom food, something high in nitrogen might be better, but if its in a bad way perhaps it would be best kept just slightly dry, and frost free until it starts to make some new growth, and then start to feed.

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Pete. I have shoved it in the g.house (which now has a small amount of heat on at night). Keeps it at about 8C night, 25C day. As I said it is not in a real bad way but I have no idea with citrus. Maybe if I just transplanted into a larger pot I may get away with it. Unless I hear from you to the contrary then that is what it is getting.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,660
    I wouldn't put it into a larger pot unless the one its in, is full of roots.
    Overpotting can cause the roots of citrus to rot in cool weather.