cup and saucer plant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by traceyg, Apr 19, 2006.

1. traceyg

traceyg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Wondering if anyone can answer this one for me, i am growing some cup and saucer plants and some morning glorys on my kitchen window sill at the moment. they are starting to get very tall now, are you supposed to pinch the tips out like with sweet peas or not?? as it won't be long before they reach the top of the window and i don't really want to put them out for another 2 or 3 weeks. Any help appreciated thanks.

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd be inclined to take the tips out, they are both vigerous and will race ahead again.

My morning glories (Blue Heaven) have only just emerged. :D

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,625
    If you grow the same plants next year I would be inclined to sow them a bit later as you don't really want them that high this early. They won't take cold temperatures outside very well so putting them out should be left till mid/late may to be safe. [​IMG]

4. traceyg

traceyg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much peeps, i will pinch them out and yes will definately sow them later next year. and will leave them in till mid may should be ok by then hopefully in kent. i brought a morning glory plant last year which done amazing on a north wall up some trelis. so have grown some this year, these are bright red ones look really vivid on the packet, hope they do well. thanks again for the advise.