Cuprinol Garden Wood Preserver

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Gizmo, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    @Gizmo - sorry misread your posts, thought from the pic that the top sleeper had not been painted.

Think the problem is that the sleepers factory treatment is affecting the Cuprinol.

When you painted that top sleeper, when brushing it on did it seem to cover with a cedar colour or just collect in beads, or just dry with little colour, or has it been washed off by the rain ?

Might be that the lower sleepers were older, held in stock longer, dried and more weathered, so allowing the Cuprinol to take better,
    The new top sleepers may be very new and still a lot of its preservative on the surface so affecting things, try leaving it to weather for a few months until its been really Sun dried then try again.

Also painting anything this time of year when its generally damp and cold is not always going to be as good as during warmer drier weather.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +849
      Thanks for the help and advice. When I painted the top sleeper it did go on but not so good the bottom of the boxes where done a while ago last year some time.
      Since getting rid of the corner box and pond I needed some where to put alot of soil and raising the sleepers was a idea so this is what I am doing but at the moment weather is to cold for me. And wait awhile before re trying to paint the sleepers
      With regards to other things like furniture I done this in summer when it was very hot but all though used undercoat and 3 plus coats it doesn't seem finished if you know what I mean it looks patchy
      Thanks

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      Just wondering if the timber was wet when you applied it.
      It would soak in really well in hot dry summer conditions but if the timber is wet absorption would be minimal.

• Like Like x 1